Paint the E-town: the Daily’s guide to weekends in Evanston

“Sanctuary: Contemplative Music from Cultures Worldwide”

First United Methodist Church of Evanston

516 Church St.

Friday, October 28, 7:30 p.m.

(847) 535-9873

Tickets $18

The Jubilate Children’s Choir will perform a benefit concert with Tibetan exile Yungchen Lhamo, who artistic director Paul Caldwell calls the “premiere Tibetan singer.”

“We have music from a myriad of diverse cultures, but we hadn’t really explored Asian music,” Caldwell said.

Although the original concept for the show was simply for the children’s choir to branch out and incorporate international music, the concert later became a fundraiser for the New Orleans Children’s Chorus. Caldwell said he thinks the show will be well-received, because it gives audience members the opportunity to contribute to a specific group affected by Hurricane Katrina.

“We’re not just raising money for general relief, but for a particular group of musicians who need assistance and rebuilding,” Caldwell said. “Yungchen herself was a refugee for a long time, so the hurricane theme is particularly relevant.”

“Launching” by Elizabete Ludviks

Ware in the World

609 Dempster St.

October 27-November 5

Tuesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For the first time in the Chicago area, Toronto artist Elizabete Ludviks will display her collection of metal jewelry at Ware in the World gallery.

The exhibit is something new for gallery owner Vanda Dauksts – Ware in the World has never shown an entire collection of jewelry.

“This will be the first leap into silversmith pieces, and we’ve also never shown anything by a Canadian artist,” Dauksts said.

Ludviks was born in Latvia and draws some of her artistic inspiration from traditional Baltic design.

A 1998 graduate of the Ontario College of Art and Design with a concentration in jewelry and ceramics, she is known for using pebbles where most designers would put precious gems.

“I met her in San Francisco at a craft fair, and I was very impressed with the beauty yet basic simplicity of her work,” Dauksts said. “It’s very elegant, but not complicated.”

On Oct. 27, the gallery will hold a free public reception from 6-9 p.m. Dauksts said it will be a good time for visitors to meet the artist and see the pieces, which are available for purchase starting at $60.

Wicked Week Chicago

The Tony Award-winning musical Wicked has been taking Chicago by storm since last April, but fans can learn even more about the show during the Halloween season.

A series of events and activities in downtown Chicago will allow visitors a more in-depth look at the musical, outside the doors of the Ford Theater.

Schedule of Events:

Saturday, October 22, noon – The State Street Halloween Happenings Parade invites families to show off costumes on a march from State Street to Pumpkin Plaza. Wicked’s two main characters, Glinda and Elphaba, will serve as the grand marshals.

Wednesday, October 26, 11 a.m. – To celebrate the release of “The Grimmerie, a Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hit Broadway Musical,” Borders Books and Music at 150 N. State St. will host a book signing by the cast of Wicked.

Saturday, October 29, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. – Wizards, Witches, and Wands, presented by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs, will feature family-friendly entertainment including live musicians and magicians, wand-making and wizardry workshops.

The event is free and will take place at 78 E. Washington St.

Sunday, October 30, 11 a.m. – The week culminates with Wicked Day, a festival marking a six-month run of the Chicago production of Wicked in Pumpkin Plaza.

Tickets for the January 1, 2006 to April 30, 2006 performances went on sale this week, so despite the popularity of Wicked, there is still time to catch it at the Ford Theater.

Seating is already limited for some dates in January.

Reach Kristyn Schiavone at