ASG to consider polling students on ATM locations

In an effort to make ATMs more accessible on campus, Associated Student Government senators will hear a bill tonight suggesting that students be polled on whether ATM locations should be changed.

The poll would be posted on ASG’s HereAndNow Web site and would ask whether ATMs should be moved from less busy buildings, such as the Pancoe Life Sciences Pavilion and Kellogg School of Management, to more frequented spots. The survey also would ask students where the ATMs should be moved.

Potential locations listed on the poll include Patten Gym, Lisa’s Cafe, Blomquist Recreation Center, University Library, the Freshman Quad and outside 1835 Hinman. Another possibility is to move one of the three ATMs at Norris University Center to another location, said Whitney Gretz, ASG’s student services vice president.

Through the poll, students could list which ATMs they currently use and whether they are U.S. Bank customers.

Usually a poll on HereAndNow gets about 1,000 responses, Gretz said.

U.S. Bank had previously expressed interest in moving the ATMs at Pancoe and Kellogg because they were not used enough, said Gretz, a Weinberg junior. But ASG would have to consider graduate students who might not visit HereAndNow to take the poll, said Jessica Wash, one of the bill’s sponsors.

“We’re trying to find a way to try to get graduate students involved in the poll as well,” said Wash, a member of the student services committee and a Weinberg sophomore.

Outside of Senate’s Wednesday meetings, ASG’s rules committee continues to discuss a bylaw amendment that would allow non-senator committee members to vote in their committee meetings, said Jonathan Webber, secretary-parliamentarian and the bill’s author. Currently, only senators can vote.

“(Both committee members and senators) are active on projects, they’re both active on committees,” said Webber, a Weinberg sophomore. “Why should one get to vote and one not get to vote?”

This idea has been around for a few years, Webber said. Currently there are a lot of students active in ASG who are no longer senators since the number of senators was cut last year, he said.

An open-forum discussion on the possible amendment will be held at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday in Norris’ Penn State room. Senate would hear the amendment at its Oct. 19 meeting and vote on it the following week.

Reach Diana Samuels at [email protected].