Hearing rescheduled for man charged with assault

A man charged with the sexual assault and kidnapping of an Evanston woman earlier this month was held in custody after a hearing Friday in District Court in Skokie. He will appear again at 9 a.m. on Oct. 14.

Anthony Darnell McNeal, 27, was arrested Sept. 18 and charged with with aggravated kidnapping, home invasion, armed robbery and two counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault. He is being held without bond.

McNeal allegedly held a knife to the throat of a woman in her apartment building on the 900 block of Sherman Avenue on Sept. 9. Police say he forced her into her apartment and sexually assaulted her twice. He then took cash and jewelry from her building and walked with her at knifepoint to the El stop on Main Street, where they rode to the Wilson stop in Chicago, according to the Evanston Police Department.

After he forced the woman to withdraw money from three different ATMs in the area, he used her cash to buy shoes and clothing at a sporting goods store, then released her on the El, police said.

The woman called police as, police say, he made calls on her cell phone. Police later tracked down the people who were called on the woman’s cell phone and showed them a picture of the man taken on a camera in the sporting goods store.

When arrested, McNeal was carrying the woman’s walkman and was wearing the same shirt as the day of the incident and a pair of shoes he bought at the sporting goods store, police said. McNeal is on parole for a 1999 burglary in Chicago.