Construction worker’s death ruled accidental

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled that the death of a Sherman Plaza construction worker last week was accidental, Evanston police said Thursday.

Francis Meenaghan, 43, died Sept. 16 when some scaffolding on the sixth floor of the Sherman Plaza Parking Garage collapsed, crushing Meenaghan and injuring one other worker shortly before 2:30 p.m. Meenaghan, from Stickney, Ill., suffered multiple injuries from the fall, said Evanston Police Department Deputy Chief Joseph Bellino.

A second worker, Chicago resident Juan Valdez, 36, was injured in the collapse. Valdez and Meenaghan were both taken to St. Francis Hospital, 355 Ridge Ave., after being rescued.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the collapse, Bellino said. OSHA officials arrived at the construction site within hours of the collapse.

Sherman Plaza is a retail and condominium development along Sherman and Benson avenues, between Church and Davis streets in downtown Evanston. The completed building will be 25 stories tall with 253 condominiums and 150,000 feet of retail space. The project is under the supervision of developer James Klutznick, and W.E. O’Neil Construction Co. is handling the construction. Neither could be reached for comment Thursday. The City of Evanston also is a partner in the development. scheduled to be completed next year.

– FROM STAFF REPORTS