Chicago fashion week helps highlight midwest designers

As “Sex and the City” star Sarah Jessica Parker entered the cosmetics department of Marshall Fields’ flagship store on State Street earlier this week, she was met with applause from 3,000 patrons.

“Look how beautiful you all look!” Parker exclaimed. “I’m so thrilled to be here – you’ve made my day.”

The notable fashion icon’s statement embodied the motivation behind Fashion Focus Chicago 2005 – to celebrate the unique style culture of the city.

Parker’s Monday appearance to promote her new fragrance, Lovely, kicked off the 11-day festival, which included the creation of a temporary boutique featuring collections by 20 local designers and the Thursday opening of the first World of J-Lo store.

The events continue through Sept. 29, and organizers are hoping to spark enthusiasm for style throughout the city.

“Mayor Daley said at the press conference Monday morning that the city is committed to making it so designers can be successful without having to move to the East or West coasts,” said Andrea Schwartz, publicity manager for Marshall Fields. “This is an entree for great designers who just haven’t had their national break yet. It’s our chance to highlight them and even give them their own store.”

Last year Fields hosted Chicago’s first fashion week, previously a New York concept.

“This year, the city said, ‘Let’s do something bigger,'” Schwartz said. “Having a strong series of events really showcases talent and awareness.”

Every day this week, designers and TV personalities – including Rachel Zoe, stylist for Lindsay Lohan, Jessica Simpson and Paris Hilton, and Stacy London, host of TLC’s “What Not to Wear” – visited to answer guests’ style questions.

“We want to make it hands-on for our guests so they don’t end up on ‘What Not to Wear,'” Schwartz said.

But events aren’t confined to Fields. The W Hotel will host a 5-hour event tonight called Shop Chicago, where guests can peruse the collections of local designers.

Medill junior Merritt Watts plans to go to the event, and said she expects clothing and accessories catering to all kinds of shoppers.

“There are so many different aspects of style,” Watts said. “It doesn’t always have to mean a ballgown.”

Watts said she attributes Chicago’s growing fashion market to the regional needs of shoppers.

“Chicago’s always had its own thing,” Watts said. “I’m from California, and you can’t get flannel-lined jeans in California.”

At Evanston boutique Circles, much of the merchandise comes from Chicago-based designers, and co-owner Benjama Sansak makes most of the jewelry carried in the store.

Co-owner Ian Fritz said he’s observed an increase in independent boutiques in the Chicago area in the past few years.

“With more upscale neighborhoods popping up, there are more privately owned boutiques,” Fritz said.

Reach Kristyn Schiavone at