ASG, GlobeMed head campus donation drives

One small bottle of shampoo. One toothbrush. One wash cloth.

These are some of the items that could be collected in the Katrina Kits Drive, a collection for Hurricane Katrina victims that officially ends today. The 11-day drive, which began Sept. 13, was organized to provide those affected by Katrina with basic toiletries. Students could drop off new items into boxes in campus dining halls and near the main desk and Norris Bookstore at Norris University Center.

The response from student groups and NU departments was strong, but donations from individual students were lacking, said Patrick Keenan-Devlin, Associated Student Government president.

“The response, to be honest, has not been stellar,” the Music senior said. “However, a lot of departments have seen the posters and signs and decided to contribute to the cause.”

The drive is an opportunity for individual students to give easily to the relief effort, said Keenan-Devlin.

“We’re not asking for big donations,” he said. “If you can afford to buy a toothbrush, great. If you can afford to buy a toothbrush and a comb, great. It makes people feel like they’re really affecting change.”

The items will be packaged into person hygiene kits during the Sept. 30 Volunteer Fair and then sent to a Salvation Army warehouse in Texas. As of Thursday, the Salvation Army has helped more than 443,000 victims of Hurricane Katrina, according to its Web site.

The drive was sponsored by ASG, Northwestern Community Development Corps, OASIS, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and University Residential Life.

Those students who still want to donate have a “buffer week,” Keenan-Devlin said. Students are invited to attend the Volunteer Fair from 3-7 p.m. in Norris and help package the kits. The ASG Web site lists items that can be taken to the Michigan Room by Sept. 30.

“Toothpaste is something we’re lacking,” Keenan-Devlin said. “Oddly enough, the most popular item so far is deodorant.”

Keenan-Devlin said he could not estimate how many kits would be completed in the end. The gross amount of supplies was within his expectations, he said, thanks to bulk donations from student groups.

“The Greek Life department donated 15 boxes of soap, shaving kits, deodorant and mouthwash,” he said. “We have received about three boxes full from Northwestern students.”

The NU chapter of the Global Medical Relief Program, or GlobeMed, also participated in the drive. They donated boxes of items such as bandages and diapers.

“Our mission is to donate medical supplies to areas in need, and this was right up our alley,” said Louis Levine, co-coordinator of GlobeMed. “We already have a lot of supplies in our inventory, and we’re collecting supplies throughout the year. Especially after the tsunami, we looked to have health kits so we can respond quickly.”

After the tsunami hit Southeast Asia in December, GlobeMed held a drive outside CVS, 1711 Sherman Ave., to collect relief items from shoppers. Levine said GlobeMed was going to hold another drive outside CVS on Sept. 28 and 29 to collect items for the Katrina kits.

“We’re doing it on weekdays,” said Levine, a Weinberg senior. “We’re doing it during peak hours. I think a lot of people are willing to help out, and what’s cool is that everyone’s always asking for money and this is a unique way to get involved.”

Levine said he thought it was important that different student groups join together to collect supplies.

“We can do more as a coalition,” he said. “This way, we can make a bigger impact and hopefully help out the area.”

Reach Nitesh Srivastava at [email protected].

KATRINA KITS

The following are needed per Katrina Kit. Items can be taken to the Michigan Room in Norris University Center by Sept. 30.

• 2 unbreakable combs (no sharp handles)
  • 1 toothbrush (packaged and medium-sized)
  • 1 6 to 8 oz tube of toothpaste (no pumps)
  • 2 bars of soap (approximately 4 to 5 oz – Bath Size)
  • 2 hand towels (15 by 25 inches)
  • 1 wash cloth
  • small shampoo (travel-sized)
  • 1 deodorant (1.5 oz)
  • socks and underwear
  • feminine hygiene products (regular strength, regular 20-count box of tampons or pads)