D-List’ Griffin makes mocking stars an art

Comedian Kathy Griffin announced she had a job to do Friday night: Keep her mostly freshmen audience sober for more than an hour. Her schtick was full of celebrity call outs and entertained 900 Northwestern students at Cahn Auditorium, while providing an alcohol-free option for a weekend night.

“I know I’m supposed to keep you from drinking for the next 70 minutes,” Griffin joked with the audience at the start of her bit. “I say 71 minutes from now, bottoms up!”

Known for her crazy stories and analysis of big-time celebrities, Griffin touched on everyone from singers Kelly Clarkson and Britney Spears to actor Tom Cruise.

At the mention of Spears, Griffin received a boisterous roar from the crowd before she continued to dish out her own feelings on the pop star-turned-new mother.

“We all knew that she was poor white trash,” Griffin said. “But we didn’t know how trashy.”

Griffin tried to get political with the audience but admitted that her main source of news is The Oprah Winfrey Show. Griffin said she was impressed with Oprah’s Hurricane Katrina coverage but cracked, “I do think it’s funny that she thinks she’s Jesus.”

Chicago native Griffin is probably best known for her four-year stint on the NBC sitcom “Suddenly Susan,” and has had guest roles on “ER,” “Mad About You” and “Seinfeld,” among others. She has a reality TV show, “Kathy Griffin: My Life On The D-List,” running on Bravo.

“I started watching her TV show on Bravo and she’s hilarious,” said Medill junior Lindsey Slater. “I found out she’s coming here so I decided to come. She’s just such a cynical smart ass.”

A graduate of Oak Park-River Forest High School in Chicago’s western suburbs and a self-proclaimed junior college drop-out, Griffin said in an interview before the show that she was somewhat intimidated by performing at “a smart kids’ school.” Normally she visits schools “like the Boise State College of Arts and Design,” she said. But Griffin did not alter her material much and definitely did not tone down her language.

“I have no language restriction in my contract, and usually when you have a language restriction, you can’t help but think of anything but that,” Griffin said. “I’m gonna stir some shit up.”

The comedy event was sponsored by the Center for Student Involvement and the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.

Reach Spencer Kallick at [email protected]