Evanston plans aid, support for victims of Katrina

Two days after Hurricane Katrina struck, Evanston resident Seth Adler opened his home to its victims.

Adler and his family, who live at Ridge Avenue and Greenleaf Street, are one of almost 1800 Chicago-area households who offered on HurricaneHousing.org to shelter people displaced by Katrina. He and other Evanston residents and organizations are reaching out to survivors with housing, donations and monetary aid.

“It’s obviously the right thing to do,” he said. “We have a big house, we have a lot of room, and if people like us aren’t going to step out and help, I can’t really expect anyone else to.”

They heard back from a family with two young children, but en route to Evanston that family decided to stay with some people in Oklahoma, he said. On Thursday night, he expected to meet with a Northwestern student transferring from Tulane.

As many as eight families displaced by Katrina are living with friends or family in Evanston, said Jay Terry, Evanston’s director of health and human services. The health department and other local agencies have helped to enroll children in schools and to get them immunizations, he said. Now that the families have stayed with others for a few weeks, “there’s an interest for them to relocate to other types of housing,” he said.

Other residents have organized Rock-in-Relief, a dance party and fund-raiser to be held at Tommy Nevin’s Pub, 1450 Sherman Ave., tonight at 8 p.m. Proceeds will go to the American Red Cross, said Marea Brichta, philanthropy chair of the Woman’s Club and a co-organizer of the event. There is a minimum donation of $10.

The Llamas, a North Shore band, approached the Woman’s Club shortly after Katrina struck, Brichta said. Nevin’s donated its space for the night, and Nevin’s and other local restaurants are donating food. Brichta said she and other club members have been putting up flyers and circulating them online.

“Hopefully it’ll be big, and I think it will,” she said.

The Evanston Chamber of Commerce is coordinating restaurants that specialize in New Orleans-style food to have a “big party and fun evening” at Prairie Moon, 1502 Sherman Ave., Oct. 5 from 5 to 9 p.m., said Jonathan Perman, the Chamber’s executive director.

“There’s a natural connection between the Evanston (restaurants) and their history of New Orleans-style food and the hurricane relief effort, so we thought it was a clever idea to gather those restaurants that already have a defined interest in the region and include them in the event,” Perman said.

Davis Street Fishmarket, Dixie Kitchen, Firehouse Grill, Hecky’s, Merle’s Barbecue, New Orleans Caf’s and Prairie Moon will be featured. The suggested donation is $20, but additional cash donations are welcome, according to a press release. All proceeds will go toward the Evanston Katrina Relief Effort.

Additionally, Merle’s Barbecue, Davis Street Fishmarket and Pete Miller’s Seafood and Prime Steak are participating in the nationwide “Give a Buck” program. Customers can add $1 to their bill and it will go directly to the Red Cross. Together, the restaurants aim to raise $10,000.

Residents who want to contribute to the relief effort without dancing or eating can make donations that will be matched by Harris Bank. The bank is partnering with the Chamber and the Evanston Community Foundation to offer up to $100,000 in matching funds. Checks made out to “Evanston Katrina Relief Effort,” with “Evanston Community Foundation” in the note, can be deposited at any Harris Bank location or at the Chamber, 1560 Sherman Ave.

Evanston’s finance department is also setting up a system for city employees to donate money out of their paychecks, floating holidays and vacation days.

Area churches are collecting basic furnishings, money, non-perishable food and hygiene products. Project Backpack is looking for backpacks filled with supplies like toys and games to give to displaced children who are living in temporary shelters. Call (847) 733-9546 for drop-off times.

A list of other opportunities for donation is available online at www.cityofevanston.org.

Reach Tina Peng at [email protected].