Toasting the Taste

In early 1980, several Windy City restaurateurs proposed a culinary showcase. Initially called Chicagofest, the celebration wasn’t anything spectacular — just a small July 4 event that would give exposure to local musicians and eateries.

“We’ve done the festival for years,” said Michael Stolfe, a general manager at Connie’s Pizza, 2373 S. Archer Ave., one of the first participating restaurants. “Back then (in 1980), we sold beef sandwiches.”

Twenty-five years later, Chicagofest has morphed into an annual tradition that routinely attracts more than 3.5 million Americans. It’s a mammoth, 11-day extravaganza featuring amusement park attractions, chart-topping performers and nearly 80 hometown restaurants. And starting tomorrow in Grant Park, those behind the Windy City staple will throw one hell of an anniversary bash — the 25th Annual Taste of Chicago.

This year, the festival has been upgraded to commemorate the occasion, said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokesperson for the Mayor’s Office of Special Events, the organization responsible for the Taste.

“There will be special events all throughout the 11 days,” said Gatziolis, adding that the showcase was expanded (from 10 days in 2002) to accommodate the extra programming. “We upped the ante a little bit in terms of entertainment.”

Along with appearances by the 1985 Chicago Bears (June 29), Abraham Lincoln — five look-alikes, to be precise — and a certain kid-friendly purple dinosaur, this year’s Taste will feature a barbeque competition between Memphis- and Chicago-area eateries, a July 3 fireworks display and, more importantly, a massive cheesecake.

“Eli’s Cheesecake made a giant birthday cake this year,” Gatziolis said. “Mayor (Richard M.) Daley will be there to cut it, and we’ll all sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to the Taste.”

That, or patrons could choose to be serenaded by one of 19 other acts slated to perform at the Taste’s Petrillo Music Shell.

Grammy-winner Lauryn Hill canceled her opening-night appearance, but rapper LL Cool J will anchor this year’s star-studded concert series on Friday, June 24, followed by multi-platinum artists LeAnn Rimes (June 25), Donna Summer (June 29), Lynyrd Skynyrd (June 30), Santana (July 2) and Moby (July 4), among others.

“The Taste’s aim is to appeal to a lot of different musical tastes, much like the food does,” Gatziolis said. “There’s a little bit of everything for everyone.”

For performers, the Taste also provides an opportunity to give back to their fans. Because the selection committee usually chooses artists who are willing to cut their rates, and most appearances are sponsored by radio stations, all festival concerts are complimentary.

Weinberg sophomore Alex Hertel-Fernandez said he thinks this is a great incentive to attend the Taste.

“I’d definitely want to see Moby and Santana,” Hertel-Fernandez said. “Normally those concerts would cost at least $40 each. It’s really cool that the Taste offers them for free.”

But the food is hardly free. Ticket prices are set at $7 for 11, and taste portions normally cost two or three tickets. Gatziolis recommended that cost-conscious consumers (and cash-starved college students) group their tickets and share the dishes.

Everything else is free, she says — after all, the Mayor’s Office of Special Events isn’t focused on making a profit. The Taste revenues are heavily deflated by the high operating costs and the leftover cash funds of other Chicago-area festivals, Gatziolis said.

“The money we make goes right back into operation,” she said. “The only ones who can profit are the vendors, but, truly, it’s a lot of work to be out there. (The Taste) is a great marketing tool, though.”

Stolfe agreed.

“The Taste is a costly event for us. We get some sales increase right afterward, but it’s more of a long-term process,” he said. “We do it to get our name out in the community.”

Reach Dan Macsai at [email protected].