Fund-raising effort marks 125th year of The Daily

Members of the Class of 2005 have worked to launch “Campaign 125,” a fund-raising effort to celebrate The Daily Northwestern’s 125th year of serving the university and Evanston.

The goal is to raise at least $125,000 by January 2006 by asking Daily alumni across the country to make tax-deductible donations of at least $125. The first priority will be an upgrade of all equipment in the newsroom and the Composition Shop used in the entirely student-operated production of The Daily.

“The equipment’s functional, but just barely,” said former Editor in Chief Elaine Helm, a Medill senior. “It tends to inhibit efforts to do innovative journalism.”

Any funds not used for capital upgrades to equipment will serve as seed money for an endowment that in the future can be used for scholarships for student staffers, educational training and additional capital improvements.

An alumni association also is being created as part of the 125th anniversary celebration.

“So many people who worked here have gone on to great careers,” said Jerome Pandell, Weinberg ’05, The Daily’s alumni relations director. “I hope they remember us now in a time of need and use this year to reconnect with classmates.”

To kick off the alumni association and celebrate this milestone, there will be a buffet dinner Sept. 24 at Norris University Center during Northwestern’s Reunion Weekend.

The Daily published its first issue on Jan. 28, 1881. Questions about “Campaign 125” or the alumni association can be directed to Pandell at [email protected].

— FROM STAFF REPORTS