Man charged with hitting police officer with vehicle

An Evanston man was arrested and charged Monday with hitting a police officer with his car, police said.

The man also kicked out the windows of a squad car as he was being transported to Evanston Police Department, 1454 Elmwood Ave., said Deputy Chief Joe Bellino of EPD.

Clarence Cavines, 29, of the 2100 block of Church Street, was arrested and charged with aggravated battery, felony damage to property and felony attempted escape.

The EPD detective was transported to Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave., for a shoulder injury, Bellino said. She was treated and released Monday but has not returned to work, he said.

Police saw a man, later identified as Cavines, threatening a woman in front of Evanston Township High School, 1600 Dodge Ave., at about 10:30 a.m., Bellino said. The woman, later identified as Cavines’ girlfriend, was in her car when the man drove up next to her, got out of his car and started yelling and swearing at her.

The detective told the man to put his hands on the hood of his car, Bellino said. He refused, began swearing at the detective and then got back into his car.

Cavines turned the car’s wheels to the left, accelerated and hit the detective, Bellino said. The detective rolled across the hood of the car and landed on her back, Bellino said.

Cavines drove away from the scene and was later spotted on the 1700 block of Grey Avenue, Bellino said. Police chased him on foot and arrested him on the front porch of a nearby house.

When police were driving Cavines to EPD’s station, Cavines kicked out the side windows of the squad car, Bellino said. Additional officers arrived to help transport him the rest of the way to the station.

Cavines is scheduled to appear June 2 at Circuit Court in Skokie.

— Amy Hamblin