Hot diggity dog!

Noyes Street is the Berlin Wall dividing Evanston dining.

To someone living south of Noyes Street, the mention of D.D. Dogs, 825 Noyes St., brings a blank stare and raised eyebrows.

But Northerners know a trip to the hot dog joint means a hit-the-spot, lick-the-ketchup-off-your-fingers meal of a half-pound cheeseburger and a thick chocolate shake — for about $5.

“I started going a month ago, and I’ve decided it’s definitely going to become a regular part of my diet,” said Matthew Moonen, a Weinberg junior who lives on Noyes Street. “It was the chili cheese fries that got me.”

For more than 30 years, it’s been love at first bite for patrons of the family-owned D.D. Dogs.

Nestled near the Noyes El station, the restaurant gives many customers a place to dash inside for a hot dog before they run to catch the train. And Northwestern students said they enjoy stopping by for a quick meal before class.

“It’s convenient,” said Justin Moles, a McCormick junior. “It’s not cafeteria food, (but) more like what you get at a ballpark.”

D.D. Dogs serves breakfast, hot and cold sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers and gyros, its most popular item. For the cholesterol-conscious, salads are also on the menu.

“It’s the type of greasy spoon you’re looking for, except it’s clean,” Chicago resident Nikki Parker said, as she waited at the counter for her gyro.

But another customer said D.D. Dogs’ hygiene comes second to taste.

“It’s delicious. It’s not about cleanliness,” Evanston resident Drew Bailey said.

Sanitation aside, customers can agree on D.D. Dog’s prices: They’re low. Hot dogs “with all the trimmings” are $2.15. Chili cheese fries are $2.89. Gyros are $4.29. For $5, a customer can eat a half-pound cheeseburger with fries and coleslaw.

Evanston residents and students living on North Campus are the most frequent customers, said Billy Douvikas, the owner’s son.

South Campus students rarely make the trek to D.D. Dogs, Douvikas said. But the owners might open a downtown location, he said.

For some customers, it’s not just the cheaper prices or convenient meals that make D.D. Dogs a special place for customers. Much of the place’s charm comes from the employees, many who have worked there for years.

“The people here are awesome,” said 13-year-old Kavon Wynia, who said he has been eating at D.D. Dogs for five years and spends half of his allowance there. Kavon had spent three hours hanging out with the employees a day earlier, he said.

Moonen agreed D.D. Dogs’ atmosphere made him want to return.

“It’s small, and the guys are really nice,” Moonen said. “The TV is always on with a Cubs game playing.”

D.D. Dogs is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday; from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday and Friday; and from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.

Reach Beth Murtagh at [email protected].