Letters to the editor

Greek week shows unity

Hi Tony, I’d like to invite you to come to our Panhellenic Association meeting tonight at 6 at Delta Delta Delta.

The recently concluded Greek Week was a show of unity as members donated blood, played dodgeball and painted The Rock. The slogan “all for one and one for all” that was painted on The Rock Friday night was consistent with the theme of the week.

The Panhellenic Association and all 12 sororities in the council work on raising tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars for charities across the nation each year. We put in thousands of hours of community service to improve the lives of those in the Northwestern and Evanston community. Last year one sorority granted a wish for a child through the Make-a-Wish Foundation.

I suppose these things are considered too trivial for you compared to the “passive-aggressive cat fighting” you seem to think is the goal of the sorority community. Sororities are about sisterhood and the development of an individual.

It’s sad to hear that going Greek has taught you so little. Perhaps that is part of your experience as a member of the greek community. I, for one, have never felt that sentiment coming from another fraternity man. Or any other sorority woman either.

The Panhellenic Association and the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life does more than spark “PMS chain reactions.” Maybe you’d care to join us and find out for yourself tonight.

— Audrey Chen,

Communication sophomore

vice president public relations

Panhellenic Association

Later elections good idea

I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw The Daily’s endorsement of later elections for Associated Student Government dorm senators. Three years ago, the Public Affairs Residential College executive board felt like it was the only one making such an argument. Members tried to fight off yearly pushes from the ASG executive board to change our elections to the fall, effectively opening up the position I held to the freshmen who’d just stumbled onto campus. I sometimes felt vilified by freshmen who thought I was denying them their opportunity.

The Daily has it right. Having an older senator who opts to live in the dorm not only assures that the senator is truly interested in the dorm, but also ensures that someone familiar with ASG is available to direct students to the ASG committees and student groups that best fit their interests. Too many freshmen who don’t get elected lose interest in ASG, cementing it as an insider group. If students had to come up with creative ways to get involved, the organization is likely to be more responsive.

PARC has always had a reputation for being an unusual dorm, but on this issue, I’m glad to see it’s views are entering the mainstream.

— Eileen Keeley,

Weinberg ’03

Forget CTA; Metra faster

Not to minimize the problem of the Chicago Transit Authority’s services reduction — many individuals will have transportation problems. One alternative, however, has been missing from The Daily’s articles — Metra, which is a good option for Evanston/Loop commuters.

I took the CTA before an office move made Metra a better choice. I never found the CTA enjoyable and still do not find the quality or timing of service particularly good. I’m sure the people who argue that the Purple Line express saves time are justified, but I did not and still do not find it much faster.

It would benefit your readers to have a story on the Metra as an alternative to CTA — I’ve seen so few students on Metra that I suspect they know little about it. It is faster, cleaner and with a 10-ride or monthly pass, not much more expensive. And you will get there on time! Students would be amazed how many Metra riders will walk past a CTA station to take Metra instead — even if it is a half-mile further. The same goes for people commuting to or from the Loop.

In past years NU has voted down the reduced quarterly pass the CTA has offered universities. Students and recent alumnae have said they don’t take the CTA enough to merit the reduced fare. It now seems that the CTA is of more concern to people.

— John Fuqua,

Evanston resident