Senator encourages graduates to help society

Northwestern School of Law graduates should use their newly-acquired skills and education to try and change the world through public service, said Sen. Richard J. Durbin (D-Illinois) at the Law commencement ceremony Sunday afternoon.

More than 3,000 friends and family members crowded the Chicago Theatre to watch the School of Law’s Class of 2005 receive their degrees.

The 430 graduates represent every state and come from more than 18 countries.

The Class of 2005 is the 145th class to graduate from the School of Law. Half of the class’ members are women and a third are minorities, said School of Law Dean David Van Zandt.

Durbin began his speech by congratulating the graduating class on their achievements and commending them for their diversity.

“(The extent of your diversity) just kind of shows how far we’ve come as a country,” he said.

He cited specific examples of individuals in recent history who had done much to make a difference in the world. Among the people he mentioned were former Illinois Gov. George Ryan, civil-rights activist Rosa Parks and Natalia Dmytruk, a Ukrainian sign-language interpreter who protested the Nov. 21 election results for the Ukrainian presidency.

“These stories of courage are the type that should inspire you,” he said.

He also commended students who already make a difference by volunteering at the Blumh Legal Clinic — the home of the Center on Wrongful Convictions and the Center for International Human Rights. The Blumh Legal Clinic has exonerated many wrongfully convicted inmates and has made significant strides in the human-rights arena, Durbin said.

He ended his remarks by encouraging the new graduates to become honest attorneys and do all they can to help the world become a better place. The education and skills they have gained from the School of Law are the perfect tools to improve the world we live in, he said.

“Go now, with the inspiration and education that you’ve received, confidently in the world of an attorney,” he said. “If you do, you’ll make more than a living, you’ll make the difference.”

The commencement ceremony also included speeches by Van Zandt and University President Henry Bienen, who both congratulated students for their achievements.

Many of the graduates said they enjoyed the ceremony and appreciated the fact that Durbin did not “politicize” his speech.

“It was a well-balanced speech,” said Shawn Olds, Law ’05. “Rather than politicizing, he spoke to the issues that are going to impact us when we leave, making sure we impact other people’s lives.”

Reach Allan Madrid at [email protected].

Quick facts:

• The Class of 2005 is the 145th class to graduate from the School of Law.
  • The class is composed of 430 students hailing from every state in the United States and more than 18 countries around the world.
  • Half of the class is made up of women; a third is made up of minorities.