Shows unite prospies, students

Current and prospective students say the Preview NU Showcase — performances by student groups incorporated into Preview NU — successfully conveyed a sense of unity to prospies.

Associated Student Government worked with the Office of Undergraduate Admission to facilitate more interaction between prospective and current students as a larger push to help students to build a better sense of community. This year’s Preview NU programming, which ends today, aimed to encourage unity through the new, entirely student-run show.

Nine student groups — including Boomshaka, Freshman Fifteen and Graffiti Dancers — performed two shows last week and a final Monday night show for free. On the first night of the Preview NU Showcase, April 18, current and prospective students packed McCormick Auditorium, leaving standing room only. The show got a standing ovation.

“I knew it was going to be a great show, but I was not expecting the amazing turnout and overwhelming support,” said Communication sophomore Jay Schumacher, ASG’s Executive Vice President.

After each show, prospective and current students were invited to a free ice cream social where they were encouraged to mingle and to talk about NU community.

ASG’s Presidential Leadership Initiative committee, a group of about 10 freshman senators, began working on the showcase early this year. Their goal was to strengthen NU’s sense of community by giving prospective students a better opportunity to interact with current students, Schumacher said.

“Preview NU needed student assistance to show the entire spectrum of the school,” Schumacher said. “We wanted to show prospies that we’re not only a great academic school, but that we have a lot of talented individuals.”

Preview NU is a 3-year-old program designed to persuade admitted students to come to Northwestern.

Thomas Menchhofer, Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions and coordinator of Preview NU, said the addition of student-run social programming helped the admissions office to better meet the needs of prospies.

“We’ve had great turnouts and wonderful performances,” Menchhofer said. “We’ve heard good feedback. Overall, we’re happy with the format.”

After several meetings with the admissions office, the committee finalized details for the Preview NU Showcase and began to contact student groups at the beginning of Winter Quarter. Communication freshman Rishi Taparia, an ASG senator who serves on the committee, said it’s a beneficial program for everyone involved.

“The show generates prospective students’ interest in student groups at NU, and the groups get free publicity,” Taparia said. “When new students get to campus, they remember seeing these groups and see what they can do to join.”

Prospective students received a flier for the show in the packet distributed at the start of the Preview NU program. Several advertisements were posted around campus. In a final publicity push, members of the committee went on a Sunday night expedition to chalk campus walkways. Taparia said the support of current students both of the show and of the ice cream social is crucial to prospies’ experience at NU.

“We want to encourage bonding and give them a chance to talk candidly and give their honest opinion about life at NU,” Taparia said. “One of the prospective students told me after the show that he had gotten a full ride to another school, but after seeing the sense of community at NU he would probably go here.”

About 800 to 850 students attend Preview NU programming, out of the approximate 4,000 applicants who are admitted regular decision.

Jennifer Fukumoto, a prospective student from Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif., was touring Norris Monday and said she was excited to see the Preview NU Showcase.

“I really want to see the fun side of NU,” Fukumoto said.

Reach Kristyn Schiavone at

[email protected].