Health care? NU needs a beer garden

Last year, Northwestern’s administration created a Dillo Day Taskforce. Its mission was to make Dillo Day a safer, more campus-centered event.

The taskforce was composed of middle-aged men and women, an elderly doctor, members of the Northwestern University Police Department, a Counseling and Psychological Services representative and some students — myself included. I served as the only NU student on the taskforce who actually enjoyed what Dillo Day has come to represent — 12 or more hours of binge drinking with some crappy bands mixed in. The Mayfest reps on the committee were always occupied with running the show and the other students seemed to have a difficult time removing the stick from their asses.

The Evanston community presented the taskforce with numerous letters condemning the drunk, obscenity-spewing slobs. These offended residents made legitimate complaints. They did not deserve the f-bomb at seven in the morning, and the loads of red Solo cups probably sucked to clean up.

After several meetings the Dillo Day Taskforce 2004 agreed on a few changes. An advertising campaign encouraged students to be safe. More medics were present on campus and Evanston residents got an advanced warning of Dillo Day. Despite these various measures, and although there were less student hospital visits and nobody died, the effort to make Dillo Day an on-campus event failed.

I was not asked to be part of this year’s taskforce (go figure). According to a taskforce member, there were some potential improvements discussed in these two meetings. One was to curb large-volume alcohol sales. Another was to install a beer garden on the Lakefill.

First, it will be a cold day in hell when Hiren Patel, manager of Evanston 1st Liquors, tells me I can’t buy as many kegs as I want. In fact, the store created Dillo Day cups last year as give-aways.

Second, instead of focusing on the crackdown, the taskforce needs to accept that Dillo Day can be both safe and fun. Generally, I am a fan of deregulation, and that is exactly what Dillo Day needs.

The administration killed the beer garden idea, arguing that NU already has its hands full. Horse puckey. According to NUPD, three students were arrested on campus for possession of cannabis. Not a single drunk ended up handcuffed. Hands full? Just tell us that you didn’t like the idea. No need to lie.

In today’s ASG presidential run-offs, neither of the candidates address the Dillo Day dilemma: how to get the focus back on campus. Prajwal Ciryam claims he’s going to tackle real issues like healthcare, tuition increases and all the things my parents worry about. It’s time to fight for something worth fighting for. Bring a beer garden to Dillo Day and you will bring spirit, community and an “I love you, man” mentality back to campus.

Bryan Tolles is a Weinberg senior. He can be reached at [email protected].