Coalition gives go-ahead to 2 presidential hopefuls

Coalition of Colors, an umbrella organization of Northwestern multicultural groups, endorsed on Sunday two of the six presidential candidates fighting to win votes in Tuesday’s Associated Student Government election.

The group issued a majority endorsement to Weinberg junior Prajwal Ciryam, the current academic vice president, and a minority endorsement to Weinberg junior Ketica Guter, former coordinator of the black student alliance For Members Only. FMO is one of the five groups that form the Coalition, which also includes the South Asian Student Alliance, Latino student group Alianza and the Muslim-cultural Students Association.

Endorsements were made after a debate Sunday afternoon. All candidates attended except for AVP candidate and Weinberg sophomore Andrew Xia.

Michael Collins, current FMO coordinator, said the five-member panel voted 3-2 in favor of Ciryam because of his prior experience in ASG.

But Collins said he strongly endorsed Guter, who was FMO president for the past year.

“Seeing Ketica’s commitment to the black community and how much work she’s put in over the years — and the passion and fervor that she has for her platform and the whole campaign — led me to believe that she is clearly the most qualified candidate on the ballot,” said Collins, a Weinberg sophomore.

Coalition of Colors endorsed Communication sophomore Jay Schumacher for executive vice president and Weinberg sophomore Whitney Gretz for student services vice president, Collins wrote. Both candidates are running unopposed for their positions.

Collins said Coalition of Colors decided to endorse Weinberg junior Jason Downs for academic vice president.

“The key distinction for (Downs) was that instead of saying what he wanted to do, he went into how he was going to do it,” Collins said. “It was a more active approach.”

Reach Julia Neyman at [email protected].