Keenan-Devlin speaks out against politics as usual

Come graduation, Music junior Patrick Keenan-Devlin has no interest in pursuing politics.

The opera and history double major volunteers as a Sunday school teacher, and he thinks he may have found a true calling in education. He even has a town in mind: Camden, N.J., a city with a 40% poverty rate and where his grandfather owns a small tool manufacturing company.

“I think that’s kind of where I would like to head to after graduation — to teach and see what I can do in the Camden educational system,” Keenan-Devlin said.

But, for now, Keenan-Devlin wants to tackle ASG.

When Keenan-Devlin first joined ASG through the External Relations Committee last October, the experience was overwhelmingly positive. But the transition into Senate soon after was a disappointment.

“I saw a lot of bickering. I saw a lot of red tape. I saw a lot of self-aggrandizing individuals, and I was extremely concerned,” he said.

He said he decided to run for president after watching ASG’s hostile reaction to the debate over transparency Winter Quarter.

“Instead of saying, ‘Let’s look at this, let’s see what we’re doing wrong and let’s respond,’ they went ‘How dare you, how dare you question us?'” Devlin said. “That was a ridiculous response, and it was a very condescending response.”

With the majority of his leadership experience outside of ASG, Devlin said he has the fresh perspective needed to change ASG’s attitude and lead lobbying efforts for campus change.

Devlin is running on a four-part platform. He wants to use his town-gown relations background to incorporate Evanston representatives into the lobbying effort to keep wet fraternities on campus.

“I have spoken to several city officials,” he said. “And I am 100 percent certain that they would come to the table if welcomed.”

As a step towards community building, he wants to elevate student housing groups such as the Interfraternity Council “to an executive” level on ASG.

“I believe those organizations understand the community much better than ASG does,” he said.

Despite the new Pace bus service to O’Hare, Keenan-Devlin also said the university has a responsibility to provide a free airport shuttle, especially for North Campus students.

Finally, Keenan-Devlin would like to see free STD testing on campus and a refurbished Counseling and Psychological Services, which he said two out of three students use.

First Ward alderman-elect Cheryl Wollin said Keenan-Devlin is positive and open minded. She has worked with him at the Sheil Catholic Center and on her successful aldermanic campaign.

While Wollin said she would be willing to work with any of the candidates, she added that between her and Keenan-Devlin, “there’s a mutual respect and trust that’s already there that would certainly make the job easier.”

Reach Jordan Weissmann at [email protected].