Holmes wins seat in crowded field

Delores Holmes often is seen in the audience at City Council meetings. Now Holmes has earned a seat at the front of the room as the Fifth Ward alderman.

In a landslide victory Tuesday in the city’s most contested race, Holmes received 76 percent of the votes, putting her far ahead of her competitors — Patricia Brown, Betty Ester, Furman Sizemore and Charles Sheridan — in the race to replace Ald. Joseph Kent (5th).

"I’m very humble of all the support I have from the community," said Holmes, who was teary-eyed and ecstatic after the results.

After poll-hopping and delivering breakfast to election judges since 5:30 a.m., Holmes celebrated with more than 70 family and friends at the New Orleans Grill, 1601 Simpson St.

Fifth Ward residents have long known Holmes as a "godmother" and "mentor." Three decades of social activism helped secure her election. She has been executive director of Evanston’s Family Focus –Our Place for 26 years.

"She’s a community person," said Fifth Ward resident Lois Wedlow at the party. "She will go block by block if necessary to accomplish her goals."

Holmes pledged to create more affordable housing and pursue economic development in the Fifth Ward.

Holmes said she would not forget her commitment to students. She said she will begin discussions with the Northwestern community in May.

Brown, who was running for the first time, came in second with 12 percent of the votes. She said she was glad to get her name out.

Ester, who came in fourth, said she believes Holmes can change a stagnant council.

"Delores needs to remember to come back to the people," Ester said. "We don’t need another organization talking to us."

Holmes said she plans to work with her competitors to improve the ward.

Reach Stephanie Chen at [email protected].