Science-loving junior named Gates Scholar

Weinberg senior Laura Blecha has always wanted to reach the stars.

With hard work and dedication, encouragement from her teachers and a fascination with outer space, the integrated science and physics double major recently managed to become a star herself as a Gates Cambridge Scholar.

Blecha was awarded a Gates Cambridge Scholarship earlier this month to study at the University of Cambridge in England next fall.

It will give Blecha the opportunity to pursue her interest in physics. The Manhattan, Kan.-native plans on working toward a Master of Philosophy degree in physics.

“I enjoy physics because I like learning how different aspects of the world work at their most basic level,” Blecha said.

Blecha, along with 37 other newly-named Gates Cambridge scholars from around the world, will begin their studies early next October.

Blecha said she applied for the scholarship because she wanted to do have a more distinctive experience during the year before entering a physics doctoral program in the United States.

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation established the Gates Cambridge Scholarships in 2000 for students from outside the United Kingdom from all academic backgrounds. The scholarships provide full funding for a second bachelor’s degree or graduate study at the University of Cambridge.

Eligibility for the scholarship required students to apply and be accepted to University of Cambridge.

Blecha’s other achievements include an induction into Sigma Pi Sigma, a national physics honor society, and being recognized as the Outstanding Junior in Physics and Astronomy at NU in 2004. She is also a member of the Society of Physics Students and Sigma Alpha Iota, the women’s music sorority.

“I put a lot of effort into my undergraduate career and have done the best I could with it,” she said. “The coursework I’ve done in physics and the ISP curriculum has given me the basic knowledge that will be infinitely valuable in the future.”

Rachel Scheidegger, who also serves on the executive board of the Northwestern’s Society of Physics Students, said Blecha’s dedication to her studies and extracurricular activities makes her a deserving recipient of the award.

“Laura is one of the smartest people I’ve met (at NU) and works really hard,” said Scheidegger, a Weinberg senior and a fellow integrated science major. “She’s always been interested in her cosmological research, and the scholarship will be a great opportunity to pursue (her interests) in grad school.”

Blecha is the third NU student to receive a Gates Cambridge Scholarship since the program began. Previous winners from NU include Jessica Grahn in 2001 and Daniel Choate in 2002.

Reach Allan Madrid at [email protected].