Outgoing aldermen won’t endorse replacements

With one-third of Evanston City Council set to retire in a month, most aldermen are staying out of the political fray of the April 5 elections.

Alds. Gene Feldman (9th) and Joseph Kent (5th) both will not be endorsing any of the candidates seeking to replace them as aldermen. Although they miss the feeling of seeing their names on the ballot, both said they are relieved to be on the sidelines this time.

Ald. Arthur Newman (1st) declined to comment. He would not state which First Ward candidate — Cheryl Wollin or Judy Fiske — he would endorse, or if he would endorse a candidate at all.

Fiske and Wollin both said they will not be seeking an endorsement from Newman.

“It has never occurred to me that you could do that if you’re running for ward alderman,” Fiske said.

Despite making no formal endorsement, Newman was present at Fiske’s election campaign kickoff Jan. 30. In a previous interview, Newman said he was unimpressed with Wollin’s work on the council in the past. Newman and Wollin served together from 1991 to 1993 when Wollin was Seventh Ward alderman.

As the longest serving alderman in Evanston, Feldman said he would not endorse either of the candidates running in the Ninth Ward, which is located in south Evanston.

“Campaigning and running for office is very hard, and if you do it right you’re working all the time,” Feldman said.

He said Ninth Ward candidates Mimi Peterson and Anjana Hansen both are qualified candidates, but he doesn’t want to influence the election.

“I think it’s up to the people of the Ninth Ward to decide which candidate they want,” he said.

Feldman is a veteran of election campaigning. He has been elected four times, in 1991, 1993, 1997 and 2001, and he ran unopposed in the last two elections.

From petition ballots to door-to-door campaigning, Feldman has watched Evanston change, and now he said he will listen to campaign platforms and participate as a voter.

He said he also welcomes two women on the ballot. The change in gender won’t make much of a difference on the council, he said.

“There are women on the council now who do an excellent job,” Feldman said. “These are two very nice women, and the people will see that.”

Settled in his new position as principal of East Elementary School in Zion, Ill, Kent said he will miss being alderman.

Fifth Ward candidates Furman Sizemore, Delores Holmes, Betty Ester, Charles Sheridan and Patricia Brown are vying for Kent’s council seat. The Fifth Ward includes west Evanston and a portion of the Northwestern off-campus student population.

Information has been by word of mouth so far, Kent said. He said he will not be making a public endorsement even after he hears more about the platforms.

“I’m looking for someone that will be fair and objective,” he said “They have to work with Northwestern and stick up for the community too.”

Kent said he wants someone who holds close to his values of building a better community. He said he wants to see a candidate who will put the Fifth Ward’s needs first. The candidates should prioritize working with youth projects and Evanston police on projects to improve safety, he said.

Most importantly, Kent said he wants someone who can “roll up (his or her) sleeves and do the work.”

“It’s about keeping true to the neighborhood and raising the quality of life,” he said.

The Daily’s Paul Thissen contributed to this report.

Reach Stephanie Chen at [email protected].