Former astronaut links need for sciences, arts

Solving global problems will require fusing the disparate approaches of science and the arts, former astronaut Mae Jemison told an audience of about 135 people Saturday.

“Time is the truly irreplaceable commodity that we all have at our disposal,” Jemison said. “It’s what we do with our time that gives it the potential to do great things.”

Jemison, who spoke at the McCormick Auditorium in Norris University Center, was the first black woman to travel in space. She was a mission specialist in 1992 on the space shuttle Endeavour’s eight-day mission. Jemison, who has degrees in chemical engineering and medicine, owns and runs a company that makes medical devices for the physiological monitoring of the human body.

Jemison discussed the distinctions people make between the sciences — an analytical, deconstructive method of understanding the world — and the arts — an intuitive, constructive method of understanding nature.

Jemison spoke of moments in her life when she felt herself having to choose between satisfying her inquisitive scientific side and her passion for the arts.

“I would encounter dilemma after dilemma, being asked to choose between being a dancer or a scientist,” Jemison said. “I had to struggle with the notion to narrow my options so that people could put me in the box that they want me to fit in.”

The use of both intuition and analytical skills can help to address world issues such as drug use, hunger and the environment, Jemison said.

“Solutions come about as a result of understanding,” Jemison said. “Each of us needs to seek understanding and see where we want to be. Then we get the opportunity to shape the tools through which we understand, appreciate and question what we ask.”

Jemison also said young people should not let their age interfere with their ability to make a difference.

“Do not let folks fool you into saying that you are going to put off doing the right thing until you come of age,” Jemison said. “People tell you that you are the future, but the politicians are the present, and the present is building the determining factors of the future.”

The purpose of Jemison’s visit was to “promote minority involvement in medicine,” said Brittany Osborne, a Weinberg junior. Osborne serves as president of One Step Before, the pre-medical minority student group that co-hosted the event with The Physics Society.

Sarah O’Shea, a Weinberg freshman, attended the event said she had faced the same dilemma of choosing between arts and sciences as Jemison did.

“She was very inspiring and she really hit a personal note, being a biological sciences major who is very interested in the arts,” O’Shea said. “She was a great speaker, and she is truly remarkable.”

Shakira Lavonne Carter, a Communication freshman, said her views on the environment mirror Jemison’s.

“I was really impressed by the fact that she mentioned how humans think that we’re better than nature, although really we are a part of it,” Carter said. “I liked how she talked about how we’re blinded by our own power and how we think we are going to be here forever.”

Reach Marcy Miranda at [email protected].