U.S. rep voices support for hospital referendum

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky, D-Evanston, officially endorsed an Evanston referendum asking to revoke Resurrection Health Care’s tax-exempt status.

The referendum states the status should be removed due to failure to provide sufficient charitable donations.

“We need to send a clear message that Evanston residents expect our non-profit, charitable organizations to fulfill their obligations to the broader community,” Schakowsky said in a press release Thursday.

Movement for the referendum originated from the Resurrection Health Care staff, which came to the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees about the hospitals not providing enough charitable care.

Resurrection Health Care, which owns St. Francis Hospital, 355 Ridge Ave., provides $6.5 million to the local community in charity, but receives $72 million in tax relief. Four thousand Evanston residents signed a petition to have the referendum placed on the ballot.

Henry Bayer is the executive director of AFSCME Council 31, which represents all of Illinois.

He said Resurrection’s donations amount to half those made by similar-sized hospitals. Tax benefits to Evanston from St. Francis alone would be worth $4 million, Bayer said. He said, however, the referendum’s goal is not to gain tax revenue but to reinforce the organization’s commitment to charity.

“We believe that all hospitals that give charitably should receive deductions,” Bayer said.

Though the referendum is not binding, it would call for an investigation into Resurrection’s charitable practices.

“If it passes, Resurrection Health Care should realize that the people are fed up and that they need to change their charitable practices,” Bayer said. “The voters of Evanston, when allowed to express their opinions and are knowledgeable of the facts, will say Resurrection Health Care must fulfill their role or be put on the tax roll.”

Bayer said AFSCME is happy to have Schakowsky’s support because of her public prominence and ability to inform Evanston voters about the importance of the referendum.

In addition to Schakowsky, the referendum has received support from a number of Evanston officials, including Alds. Lionel Jean-Baptiste (2nd), Joseph Kent (5th), Steven Bernstein (4th), Township Supervisor Patricia Vance and Evanston/Skokie School District 65 board members Julie Chernoff and Mary Rita Luecke.

Mayoral candidate Peter Godwin and six aldermanic candidates also have given their endorsement.

Godwin echoed Bayer’s sentiments.

“A referendum just means there will be an investigation,” he said.

“I’ve given my support because there has been adequate evidence that Resurrection Health Care has not met its obligations,” Godwin said. “Maybe they are completely innocent, but it’s on the ballot, meaning there is a lot of community activism and a lot of community support for an investigation.”

Reach Laura Olsen at [email protected].