Report rips textbook publishers

A study published this month argues that textbook publishers drive up the price of books by releasing unnecessary new editions and “bundling” their products with extraneous study materials.

The report, “Ripoff 101: Second Edition,” was compiled by a coalition of 13 student-driven state public interest research groups, advocacy organizations for students.

Norris Bookstore manager Linda Fish said she was not surprised by the findings, but did not want to jump to conclusions.

“My initial reaction is that we’re getting gouged,” she said, “but I’d like to see what people on the other side of the fence have to say.”

According to the study, textbook costs rose at more than four times the rate of inflation for all finished goods over the past decade, climbing 62 percent since 1994. New editions of popular textbooks, released every three years, are an average of 12 percent more expensive than previous editions and kill used book markets by making old editions obsolete. The study also found that more than 50 percent of textbooks were bundled with extra study materials, upping the price by an average of 10 percent.

The American Association of Publishers disputed the survey’s conclusions, attacking the study’s methodology and pointing to studies by Zogby International and Student Monitor that contradict the report’s findings.

The two groups clash on several fundamental statistics. For example, while the report states that the average college student will spend nearly $900 on textbooks this year, the publishers’ group estimates that figure at closer to $625.

J. Bruce Hildebrand, executive director for higher education at the publishers’ group, pointed out several aspects of the study that he believed were flawed.

He said the 62 percent figure was based on a study that incorporated not only college textbooks, but also high school and elementary school materials. He also said the study focused on a narrow segment of the textbook market.

“There’s something being lost here about the incredible range of choices out there,” Hildebrand said, adding that publishers offer a wide variety of low cost alternatives to the top-of-the-line textbooks professors often choose.

“Everybody wants to point a finger, to assign blame,” Hildebrand said. “It’s not a matter of blame. It’s a matter that professors all across the country make different decisions about what textbooks and what materials are best for their students.”

David Rosenfeld, program director of the student research group, said despite publishers’ explanations, it was clear that textbook costs were rising to a degree and that publishers played a significant role.

“Instead of deflecting the blame, they should at least acknowledge they play a role, even if faculty play a role as well,” Rosenfeld said.

Norris Bookstore’s Fish said she is hesitant to pass judgment upon the publishing industry, which she said undertakes a difficult, costly task in producing high overhead, labor intensive and low-selling textbooks.

Northwestern students said they agreed that textbook prices are unfair.

Education senior Chris Stolte paid $500 for textbooks this quarter, including about $300 for two biology textbooks that included bundled materials he hasn’t touched. Usually he pays $350 to $450 for textbooks in a quarter.

“I wish I knew who was responsible,” he said. “I’m sure there are a lot of people who take their cut.”

But Fish said the cost of textbooks has little to do with Norris itself. She added that the retail markup on books sold at Norris is fixed in its contract with NU.

“It’s not the price jackup here,” she said.

A pamphlet released by Barnes and Nobles states that 12.5 percent of a book’s cost goes to the store. The publishing company, meanwhile, takes 67 percent, with the author and the university each taking 9 percent.

“That doesn’t change the fact that students are paying a humongous amount on textbooks, and believe me, we feel your pain,” Fish said.

The publishers’ group and the research group are planning a meeting to discuss the conflict in their findings. Norris Textbook Manager Charles DePondt, meanwhile, has considered the idea of arranging a “textbook symposium” for students, publishers, authors and retailers to discuss the situation.

NU students have their own ideas on how to cut textbook costs.

“It’d be sweet if books were included in our tuition,” Communications junior Lizzie Levin said.

Reach Jordan Weissmann at [email protected].