No. 2 Arizona nips squad, NU starts 4-1 (Softball)

The Northwestern softball team started its 2005 campaign with a bang — make that seven bangs — over the weekend.

The Wildcats, who hit seven home runs, went 4-1 at the Pepsi Arizona Softball Classic in Tucson, Ariz., with their only loss coming in a tight game against No. 2 Arizona.

NU’s beat New Mexico State, 5-2; Tulsa, 13-1; Kansas, 7-1; and Oklahoma State, 9-1.

“I’m very pleased with the outing considering this was our first time on dirt,” NU coach Kate Drohan said. “We had 10 minutes before the first game for infield practice, but we settled in very well.”

NU nearly upset highly-touted Arizona, the host of the tournament, in its fourth game. The Saturday showdown between the two Wildcats, who faced each other in the same NCAA regional last season, drew 1,021 fans.

The matchup didn’t disappoint as the game was knotted at 2-2 after seven innings.

But in the top of the eighth, Arizona plated two unearned runs, and a valiant rally by NU in the bottom half of the frame came up a run short.

The weekend was productive for the Cats.

Needing to find a replacement for graduated middle infielder and leadoff hitter Carri Leto, NU seems to have found a worthy candidate in freshman Stephanie Churchwell.

The shortstop started every game of the tournament and finished the weekend with a .553 batting average and her first collegiate home run.

“Churchie has good speed and power, and she has really settled into the leadoff spot,” Drohan said. “But what was most impressive were her clutch hits with two strikes, which is unusual for a freshman.”

Catcher Jamie Dotson, who played first base last season, also had a strong weekend.

The junior’s two home runs surpassed her career total of one and were keys in the wins against New Mexico State and Tulsa.

Dotson finished the weekend with a team-high 11 RBIs.

“Dottie is at home behind the plate,” Drohan said, “she is just a solid, all-around good player.”

Reach Zach Silka at [email protected].