Students share food, fun of watching Super Bowl

With a minute and half left in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl and the New England Patriots up 24-21 over the Philadelphia Eagles, two Northwestern sports fans battled vicariously for their favorite teams.

“This is such hideously bad clock management,” lamented Josiah Jenkins, a Weinberg sophomore who watched the Eagles’ chances at the title fade in an off-campus apartment on Ridge Avenue and Noyes Street.

Meanwhile Boston native and Patriots fanatic Matt Sheelen, a Communication sophomore, couldn’t wipe the smile off his face.

“This is probably one of the greatest years to be a Boston sports fan,” Sheelen said.

This was just one scene during several student gatherings to celebrate Super Bowl XXXIX Sunday night. The Patriots beat the Eagles for their third win in four years.

The event drew people in dorms and off-campus apartments to watch not only football, but also funny commercials and a half-time show featuring legendary singer-songwriter and ex-Beatle Paul McCartney.

“Dude, it would be so sweet to be there,” said Medill freshman Matt Medved as McCartney sang “Hey, Jude.” Medved watched the game at the Beta Theta Phi fraternity house.

About 70 students gathered in the Foster-Walker Complex lounge to drink root beer from a tap, eat chips and salsa, and bet on final game scores.

Weinberg junior Jennifer Mo bet that the Patriots would beat the Eagles 27-17.

“I’m an Eagles fan, but nobody seems to think an Eagles win will happen,” Mo said.

Other Eagles fans were more optimistic that their beloved team would upset the Patriots, who won the Super Bowl last year. Communication freshman Leigh Underwood pumped his fists in the air as the Eagles scored the first touchdown of the game after a scoreless first quarter.

“L.J. Smith (the tight end who scored the touchdown) went to my high school!” he shouted.

But Patriots fans had the final taste of victory after the team held off the Eagles in the last quarter.

“You always knew it, and now you believe it,” said McCormick sophomore Andrew Mostello, who also watched the game from the apartment party at Ridge and Noyes.

Football wasn’t the only attraction for many TV spectators.

Phi Mu Alpha, NU’s music fraternity, took advantage of the Super Bowl to raise money for Dance Marathon.

About 40 students and alumni paid $5 to eat spaghetti, junk food and soda, and to root for their favorite team.

In a different off-campus house on Sherman Avenue and Noyes, Weinberg senior Matt Robbins sat on a couch rooting for the Eagles. He had six bets going on the game.

“If I lose all of my bets, I’ll be out $20 and a 40 (ounce bottle of malt liquor),” he said.

Music junior Laura Wagman, who watched at the same party with about 20 friends, said her favorite part of the Super Bowl was the funny commercials.

She said she especially enjoyed the Career Builder commercial, where a group of monkeys watches as a man sits on a whoopee cushion.

Communication junior Megan Duffy, also at the party, said she watched the Super Bowl because of its social aspect.

“It’s an excuse to get together, drink beer and eat things that are bad for you,” Duffy said.

Reach Julia Neyman at [email protected].