It’s All Greek to Me!: Members of black Greek sororities, frats bond for life

Students in Northwestern’s historically black Greek system don’t see their commitment as limited to a few years during college. To them, membership is for life and sometimes even passes down to the next generation.

“It’s a lifetime commitment as opposed to two to three years in college,” said Adrienne Lawrence, president of Alpha Kappa Alpha.

The Weinberg senior became interested in Alpha Kappa Alpha because her mother is a member.

Lawrence said she has been involved in the sorority’s events for as long as she can remember, adding that many students join National Panhellenic Council groups because their relatives remain involved in sorority activities long after they have graduated.

The five historically black NPHC groups at NU do things a little bit differently than most other Greek fraternities and sororities. NPHC groups do not have set recruitment schedules, nor do they give bids like the larger Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council organizations.

Rather sophomores and juniors who wish to join NPHC groups apply at different times of the year through national review boards. Freshmen cannot apply because of national standards.

Most of these boards require paper applications with information about grades and alumnae connections, and letters of recommendation from active members.

NPHC organizations with chapters at NU include the sororities Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta along with fraternities Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi and Phi Beta Sigma. Most fraternities accept applications in the fall while the sororities tend to accept members in the spring.

Students at NU become interested in NPHC groups for varied reasons.

Some women learn about the Greek system through Alpha Phi Alpha’s Sweetheart program. Each year, the fraternity invites about 20 freshmen women to become Sweethearts. Sweethearts support the fraternity’s social and sorority events in exchange for mentoring.

“It gives them an eye into the Greek world,” said Jordan Allen, president of both NPHC and Alpha Phi Alpha.

Allen said the seven men in Alpha Phi Alpha act like “big brothers” to the women, offering advice related to personal and education issues and easing them into the NU community.

“We’re not Greek in any way, we just support Alpha Phi Alpha’s events,” Medill freshman and Alpha Sweetheart Amber Jones said. “They mentor us about school and personal things.”

Wardell Minor, Education senior and president of Phi Beta Sigma, said his fraternity does not create auxiliary groups like the Sweethearts because some outsiders might have misconceptions about the womens’ role.

“Some view it as being a groupie thing,” he said. “Others view it as a service outlet. It would be inappropriate for us to do that.”

Minor said Phi Beta Sigma introduces students to its programming by hosting informational meetings, publicizing nonalcoholic dance parties on campus, and wearing their letters at philanthropic events. Despite the historically black affiliation, NPHC membership and activities are open to students of all races.

“People feel our events are exclusive, but our parties and events are open to everyone,” Allen said.

None of the NPHC organizations have official campus housing, but Allen said there is talk of a group house for the fraternities and sororities to share.

Although members don’t live together, Delta Sigma Theta President Jessica Clarke said the sense of sisterhood is strong. Clarke said bonds form quickly among the 12 members because they organize four public service events per week in addition to social functions.

“It’s a different type of sisterhood,” she said.

Delta Sigma Theta members’ activities range from tsunami relief drives to scholarships for high school students.

Clarke, a Weinberg senior, said she will continue to help with leadership and service programs after she graduates this year.

“It’s for the rest of my life,” she said.

Reach Maren Dougherty at [email protected].