Running the ring

To prepare for her role in “Million Dollar Baby,” Hilary Swank turned to Hector Roca to get into fighting shape. She ended up with 19 pounds of muscle and an Oscar nomination.

Now Roca, who has trained 13 world champs, is coming to pump Evanston up.

Roca will be teaching a “Million Dollar Workout for Women” at the Evanston Boxing Club in February. The club has attracted attention outside of Hollywood, from people of all ages — especially with discounted rates for college students.

“It’s an amazing deal,” said Weinberg freshman Sean Mackesey. “Most of the classes are taught by the owner, and it’s a small enough gym that you get a lot of personal attention.”

David Englund, the owner and head coach of the Evanston Boxing Club, 823 Emerson St., has 25 years of experience with boxing.

Englund said he found a “huge demand” for boxing in the area, but the health clubs favored the cardio-boxing format, which teaches improper technique and increases the chance

of injury.

“Technique is everything in boxing,” Englund said. “There are only six punches and six head movements, but they take time to perfect. I challenge them to go deep and find their heart to come back.”

Seven days a week, Englund teaches a variety of fitness courses at the club, part of Ultimate Fitness at 823 Emerson St.

Seven years ago, he began teaching at the Evanston Athletic Club, 1723 Benson Ave., but switched facilities to become more “boxer-friendly.”

The club gives members the option of competitive boxing, working toward bigger matches like the Chicago Golden Gloves competition or taking classes to stay fit.

It boasts 150 competitors, a female boxer who is second in the nation and the largest white-collar boxing program, which provides a “fantasy-camp” style atmosphere, for both men and women.

The club also runs a non-profit program for area youth who cannot afford to take lessons.

“For these kids, age 6 and up, the program puts structure into their lives,” said Englund.

“The schools have sent us their most challenging kids, and they tell us the kids improve their attitude and work ethic. The kids feel safer and more confident, so they aren’t distracted by the playground bully and they

can study.”

Roca may have helped train the star of “Million Dollar Baby,” but how accurately did the movie portray the world of women’s boxing?

“It was a little brutal,” said Englund. “Hilary Swank’s technique and boxing was great, but the referees are there to protect the boxers. The aggressive boxer would have been disqualified and the boxers would have been stopped sooner.”

Englund said he foresees a strong future for boxing, with its history and place in popular culture today.

“Boxing will be around forever — it’s taken people out of prison, kept them off alcohol and stopped boxers of mine from smoking,” said Englund. “It doesn’t come easy, but that’s the beauty in it.”

Reach Laura Olson at [email protected].