Evanston digs out from 2nd big storm

The second blizzard of the winter forced students to change their plans to stay warm and safe and also caused some Northwestern events to be canceled.

According to the National Weather Service, 11 inches of snow fell on the ground at O’Hare International Airport from continual snow showers starting Friday evening and continuing until Sunday morning.

The Korean American Student Association had to cancel a bowling night on Saturday after KASA vice president Brian Park nearly crashed his car Saturday morning.

“I spun across Dempster Street and realized the city hadn’t really been shoveling the snow,” said Park, a Weinberg senior. “So I gave the KASA president a call and told her we should probably cancel.”

The Russian Student Association canceled a Saturday trip to a Georgian restaurant when the parents of one member refused to let him drive everyone to the restaurant.

“We were going to go to a Georgian restaurant on Devon (Avenue) and then visit Russian shops,” said McCormick sophomore Dima Feferman. “I was going drive a van but my parents wouldn’t let me take the van because it was snowing out.”

Alpha Phi sorority also had to cancel a retreat for its new pledges because of the storm.

Medill freshman and A Phi pledge Alex Apatoff said she was disappointed that the retreat was canceled.

“I really like my pledge class and I was looking forward to spending the day with them,” Apatoff said. “But they will reschedule it soon so we will have a chance to bond.”

Despite the inclement weather, some student productions went on as scheduled.

Improv and sketch comedy show Mee-Ow ran Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights to a large turnout, according to Jack Sachs, public relations officer for the Arts Alliance, the group that funds Mee-Ow.

“We had enough confidence in Mee-Ow’s following, and it turned out that despite the storm Friday and the effects of it Saturday, we had some of our biggest audiences of all time,” said Sachs, a Communication junior.

The Dolphin Show, which ran from Friday to Sunday and continues Jan. 28 and 29, also went on as scheduled. But Matt Tomko, a Communication sophomore who worked the weekend show, said turnout this weekend was lower than in previous years.

“From my experience, I think the Dolphin Show is usually a sold out venue, but this time it certainly wasn’t full,” Tomko said. “I know some people purchased tickets but didn’t come (because of the snow).”

Weinberg sophomore Julia Gerasimchuk decided to exercise in Blomquist Recreation Center instead of Patten Gym for crew practice.

“I had to walk from Allison (Hall) to Patten Gym,” Gerasimchuk said. “I walked outside and it was snowing, the roads weren’t cleared and I didn’t think the shuttles were running, so I just decided to skip practice.”

For Communication senior Karen Tang, the snowstorm was a chance to do something she had never done before — go sledding.

Tang, who is from Florida, said she had always missed out on sledding, and she finally seized the opportunity.

“My friend gave me a sled for a late Christmas present, and there is a hill on Oakton Street and we went Saturday, ” Tang said. “By the end we were frostbitten.”

Reach Julia Neyman at [email protected].

Snow parking regulations

The City of Evanston has declared a snow emergency for today.*No parking allowed on the even-numbered side of streets between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. ? indicated by red, white and blue signs

*Any vehicles in the way will be ticketed and towed; ticket fines are $25 and towing fines are $75

*Officials expect rules to remain in effect Tuesday