NU prof leaving post for Stanford

One of Northwestern’s most prominent law professors is leaving NU for a new position at Stanford University next fall.

Law Prof. Lawrence Marshall is stepping down as legal director of NU’s Center on Wrongful Convictions, and effective Sept. 1, he will be director of Stanford’s flourishing clinical law program.

Stanford Law School’s dean, Larry Kramer, said he trusts Marshall with shaping the direction of Stanford’s law clinical program as its new director. Marshall’s advocacy for the wrongfully convicted had helped bring criminal justice issues to the forefront at the national and local levels, he said.

"In terms of national reputation, Larry was at the top of the list," Kramer said. "Our goal is to have him come in with his vision in building Stanford’s clinic. Northwestern has a fantastic program, and Larry is one of the reasons for that."

The clinical law program allows law students to gain experience working with a variety of real clients.

Marshall gained national recognition after he co-founded NU’s Center on Wrongful Convictions in 1998. The center’s work influenced former Gov. George Ryan’s decision to clear Illinois’ death row two years ago. Marshall was part of the legal team that helped journalism Prof. David Protess and a team of Medill students free five wrongfully convicted men from death row — including one 50 hours before his execution.

"(Marshall) was able to (broaden) the face of debate on the death penalty to put into consideration the unintended consequences," Law School Dean David Van Zandt said.

Marshall currently teaches at Stanford about wrongful convictions as a visiting professor while creating a master plan for its clinic.

Marshall said leaving NU will be hard because he has spent 21 years at NU as a law student and later as a professor. But moving to Stanford will be an exciting challenge, he said.

"Through working on the death penalty in Illinois over the last 15 years, I have learned of the amazing potential people have to effect dramatic changes in the world," Marshall said. "I think that a movement is now underway and continuing to flourish."

Marshall said he hopes to broaden Stanford’s clinical law program, and that clinical law programs should be integrated into the core curriculum at every law school.

Real world experience is essential to the training of new lawyers, he added.

"Clinical education creates a unique bridge between the world of theory and the world of actual practice," Marshall said. "(Most law students) never get exposure to the kinds of clients who desperately need representation."

Marshall’s former students agreed that clinical education helped them transition into the legal world, but they were quick to add that Marshall’s teaching made the real difference.

"He instilled in me a sense of responsibility as a lawyer," said Alais Griffen, an attorney at a Chicago law firm who worked with Marshall at NU’s Bluhm Legal Clinic in 1999. "You have these opportunities and skills and the chance you’ve been given through educational training. You have to go back and use those skills to do good and benefit society."

Another former student said his work at the Center on Wrongful Convictions with Marshall has made him a better prosecutor.

"(Marshall) is with me everyday in practice," said Stephen Miller, a federal prosecutor. "He always said (wrongful convictions) could have been prevented if one good prosecutor had prevented this. He inspired me to be that type of prosecutor."

Marshall said he wants to continue working with the center even from a distance.

"Whoever replaces him as the center’s legal director will have a tough act to follow," said Protess, who co-founded the center with Marshall.

Reach Helena Oh at [email protected].