Block screens unearthed Braff short film

Northwestern alumnus Zach Braff has been basking in the glory of "Garden State," a critically acclaimed independent movie that he wrote, directed and starred in, since it came out in August.

Braff, Communication ’97, wooed NU students Thursday night without even coming to campus. About 175 students packed into the Block Museum of Art to see "Lionel on His Sun Day," a surreal 25-minute film Braff made as an undergraduate.

The film follows a man up a seemingly never-ending underground apartment staircase in his quest to see sunlight.

Braff wrote and directed the film for Studio 22, an NU group that funds student films.

The film was shown as part of a student screening night, along with past student films "The Gary We Know and Love" and "Buskin’."

Studio 22 director and Communication junior Mike Placito said he unearthed Braff’s film after the success of "Garden State" propelled curiosity about Braff’s earlier works.

"We didn’t even know Zach Braff had made a movie," Placito said. "We went through boxes of old tapes on a kind of wild goose chase."

Studio 22 screenings coordinator and Communication senior Eric Hoyt said he screened Braff’s film to inspire film students and show them a high quality production.

"If you want to make movies, it’s essential that you watch movies," Hoyt said. "I hope this movie will give (students) an understanding of the real talent of the Northwestern film community."

Hoyt said the surge of student interest in Braff following the release of "Garden State" further inspired him to show the film.

Many of the students at the screening said they had seen and liked "Garden State" and were curious to see what else Braff had to offer.

McCormick freshman Steven Althoff said he appreciated the zaniness of "Garden State."

"I thought I would come out and see some of Zach Braff’s other work," he said.

Communication sophomore Brenna Ehrlich said she was not expecting much from the film because Braff made it while he was a student.

"It’ll be interesting to see where he started out, compared to where he is now," she said.

Students said they enjoyed Braff’s short, in which the main character stays mute while encountering strange characters.

Communication junior Seth Herron said he was impressed by Braff’s student effort.

"It was definitely very high quality, especially the cinematography and the set design," Herron said.

Weinberg freshman Kate Lawson said it reminded her of George Orwell’s book "1984".

"It was pretentious in the way college films tend to be," she said, "but it was forgivable because the film managed to keep a sense of humor."

Reach Julia Neyman at [email protected].