PLO president could lead to peace

Northwestern students and faculty said the election of Mahmoud Abbas as the new leader of The Palestinian Authority bodes well for Arab-Israeli relations and the future possibility of a Palestinian country.

Abbas succeeds Yasser Arafat as president, winning the election with 62.3 percent of the Palestinian vote. Arafat, who died in November, and Abbas are both members of the Fatah party.

“(Abbas) has made a major reputation in the Palestinian community as a person committed to negotiation,” said history Prof. Carl Petry, who specializes in the Middle East. “He’s known for being very level headed and therefore he enjoys a lot of respect.”

Abbas, 69, has held several positions within the Palestinian Liberation Organization, and served as prime minster of the Palestinian Legislative Council for a short tenure in 2003.

Petry said it was important for the Palestinian Authority to hold their first real elections because Arafat founded the PLO and therefore assumed the position of leader by default.

“Abbas is the first person to receive this office through a general electoral process,” Petry said. “This suggests that there is commitment to this kind of procedure in the Palestinian community.”

Abbas’ moderate style has made him a favorite with many Palestinians, as well as with foreign leaders who hope that he will help resolve the ongoing conflict between Palestinian countries and Israel.

“The election of Mr. Abbas is very good thing for Israel,” Hillel Rabbi Michael Mishkin said. “Mr. Abbas has told the Palestinian people that (violence) against the Israelis is not productive and thinks it should stop, and he has said that he is willing to negotiate with Israel.”

Mishkin added that despite protests from Hamas and other Islamic Jihad groups, the election went relatively smoothly.

“I think the election was a very big step for the Palestinians and one they feel good about,” Mishkin said.

Jason Wagner, president of Students for Israel, said Abbas’ election is a positive step for relations between Israel and many Arab countries.

“Mr. Abbas is the kind of person who can very well be partner in peace for Israel,” the Weinberg sophomore said. “The fact that democratic elections were successfully and peacefully held in the Palestinian territories also shows a stronger foundation for a partner in peace.”

Middle Eastern students also said Abbas’ leadership is the best chance for peace in the troubled region.

“I think for the peace process he was the best candidate, since Israel was hoping he would be elected, and I fear that if anyone else was elected, Israel would use the excuse of ‘your leadership not good enough’ (to halt the peace process),” said Ramah Kudaimi, a Medill sophomore whose parents are from Syria.

Fatima Alloo, a Weinberg junior who is involved with Peace of Mind, a student group that advocates better relations between Muslim and Jewish students, said she is simply glad that Palestinians have elected a new leader.

“From what I know he seems to be the best, and right now the Palestinians just need a leader,” Alloo said.

“The fact that he got a considerable portion of the votes is a good sign, and hopefully things will work out for the best,” she added.

Reach Julia Neyman at [email protected].