Students avoid impact of tsunami, plan aid

Northwestern officials say the Dec. 26 tsunami disaster that killed more than 150,000 people and devastated South and Southeast Asia affected surprisingly few students.

“Very interestingly, we have heard nothing about students who were directly affected,” said Mary Desler, dean of students.

Although few at NU were directly impacted, students and administrators moved by the large-scale catastrophe are beginning to start various relief and remembrance efforts.

“There are definitely steps that will be in place, but with school just getting back in session, students need to gather their bearings and get those steps into action,” said Anita Banerji, director of Asian American Student Affairs.

Ravi Shankar, director of the International Office, said he also has not heard of any of NU’s 283 international students in the areas most affected being injured or killed. NU has 220 international students from India, 48 from Thailand, 11 from Indonesia and four from Sri Lanka.

“We are devastated by (the tragedy) and hope that our students and their families are safe,” he said.

Indonesia was hit the worst, with 94,000 deaths. Sri Lanka had 30,000, India had 9,700, and Thailand had 5,000.

The tsunami was triggered by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake off the island of Sumatra. Forty-foot-high waves traveled up to 500 miles an hour, with some reaching as far as the eastern coast of Africa.

According to the Study Abroad Office, no NU students were studying in the areas hit the hardest by the tsunami. Two NU students were studying abroad in India during Fall Quarter, but they were back in the United States by Christmas, said Robin Kazmier, a study abroad program assistant.

Because the disaster occurred over break, the Asian student community has not yet had the chance to act collectively, said South Asian Student Alliance President Lakshmi Tummala. But she said SASA will meet Wednesday to finalize a plan of action.

“If people have the time and energy to help, there will definitely be a place where they can put that to good use,” said Tummala, a Weinberg junior.

University Chaplain Tim Stevens has joined with various campus ministry groups to organize a memorial event on Friday in Norris University Center’s McCormick Auditorium.

“We are planning this as a gathering to remember those who were lost in the tsunami and survivors who are suffering,” he said.

NU students also are leading efforts to provide relief to the ravaged areas. Debarshi Majumder, a fourth-year chemical engineering graduate student, created a Web site to help students determine which organizations to donate. The site lists reputable donation agencies and up-to-date tsunami news.

“A lot of people want to donate money, and are not sure where,” Majumder said. “This is a comprehensive list that they can look at and decide on the more trusted sources they can donate to.”

Mujamder’s Web site is http://winnie.chem-eng.northwestern.edu/~debarshi/lotus-beat/relief/relief.htm.

Tarun Patel, a Weinberg senior, is mobilizing students to contribute to BAPScare.org, a charity group that he has worked with.

“When a tragedy like this happens, people realize that in the end, we are still human and have a common experience,” Patel said.

Reach Julia Neyman at [email protected].

The Associated Press contributed to this report.