ASG wants NU to cushion transit cuts

Associated Student Government leaders are considering pressuring Northwestern administrators to address potential Chicago Transit Authority service cuts.

The cuts, which would end Purple Line service after 10 p.m., concern many NU students, said Jonathan Marino, ASG’s external relations chairman. Members of Marino’s committee have attended CTA public hearings and written letters to the CTA and city government leaders.

The Chicago Transit Board could vote to impose the cuts at its meeting on Dec. 8. The reductions, amounting to 20 percent of CTA’s current service levels, would restrict operating hours and lengthen waiting times on most rail and bus lines beginning Jan. 2.

The External Relations Committee has been addressing the potential cuts since CTA announced them in early October, Marino said. At first, the committee focused its efforts on the CTA, but about three weeks ago it shifted attention to the university.

“The administration has been tentative and I think they’re hoping that these cuts don’t go into effect,” Marino said. “But as students, we have to plan and assume that they will.”

CTA cuts would not completely cut Evanston residents off from late night transit since night bus No. N201 will continue to run. The bus goes from the Granville Red Line station north to downtown Evanston via the Howard station, but budget cuts would reduce its frequency from every 30 minutes to every hour. For late-night Purple Line passengers, the plan would translate into replacing a train running every 15 minutes with an hourly bus.

Bus N201 might not be able to handle all of the NU students who wish to use it, and there have been safety concerns with the service, Marino said.

“We’ve seen increased muggings happening this year, mostly late at night,” Marino said.

A possible solution would be to introduce a separate shuttle for the NU community connecting to the Howard station, but no plans have been worked out.

Marino said administrators have an obligation to tend to students’ transportation concerns if the CTA approves the cuts.

“Many students came to this university for the accessibility to Chicago and I think it’s the administration’s duty to respect that Chicago is a preeminent part of this university,” Marino said.

Like NU students, state lawmakers also are responding to CTA’s budget crisis. The Special Committee on Mass Transit for Northeastern Illinois will meet next month to look at the funding formula by which the Regional Transportation Authority distributes money to CTA, Metra and Pace. Though the committee will not be able to add money to prevent service cuts, it will seek to provide long-term solutions to CTA’s budget woes.

CTA had earlier asked the Illinois General Assembly to restructure the formula during its fall veto session, which legislators were unable to accomplish.

“There’s no money at the state level,” said State Rep. Julie Hamos (D-Evanston). “We can barely get through the year.”

Hamos, the special committee’s chairwoman, said the formula had not been changed in 21 years and needs a serious time commitment for reform, rather than the six days of the veto session. The Illinois General Assembly is now powerless to prevent cuts, though Hamos said there is still a chance they can be avoided.

“We are hoping very much that the governor, the RTA and the CTA will continue working to avoid these cuts,” Hamos said.

If service reductions go through, they will have a significant effect on campus because NU students compose a large part of the Purple Line’s late-night clientele, Marino said.

“Come winter, this is going to be a huge issue for every member of the Northwestern community,” Marino said. “We’re worried about it, certainly worried.”

Reach Greg Hafkin at [email protected].

Quick facts:

The Chicago Transit Authority plans to cut about 20 percent of its service to cover a budget shortfall.

The cuts, which would take effect in January, include ending service on the

Purple Line after 10 p.m. and on the Red Line between 1 a.m. and 4 a.m.

ASG leaders hope the university will help make up for the lost service, possibly with an overnight shuttle from the Howard El.