Outing highlights dark sites for lights

Five representatives from Associated Student Government took 12 Evanston and Northwestern officials out for a “light walk” last night to show which off-campus streets that students use most need more lighting.

“We think it is a great way to open the lines of communication between students, the Northwestern administration and the city,” said Jill Sager, co-planner of the walk and Hillel Cultural Life senator. “(We want) to form the first part of a cooperative effort to improve student safety.”

After hearing about poor lighting in areas where many off-campus students live, such as Garnett Place and the corner of Ridge Avenue and Davis Street, a sergeant from the Evanston police department suggested students work with their Evanston neighbors to get lighting in the dark alleyways on Garnett Place.

“(They could) survey for alley lighting,” Sergeant Bob Mayer said. “If they can get everyone on board, then it can increase lighting in this area.”

Ald. Elizabeth Tisdahl (7th) went on the walk and agreed that students should work with Evanston neighbors. She supported “Lights On,” an ASG proposal for Evanston and off-campus students to turn on their porch and yard lights to illuminate the sidewalks at night. The initiative is part of a campus safety proposal ASG will review during Winter Quarter.

“The ‘Lights On’ initiative shouldn’t be just about the students,” Tisdahl said. “In the Seventh Ward, too, the alleys are very dark.”

The “walk” was really a drive, because there was so much ground to cover. ASG representatives drove and highlighted the streets students use most to walk home from the Noyes and Foster El stops and where foliage blocks the lighting on the route students take from The Keg of Evanston back to campus.

“Hinman (Avenue), between Davis and Church (streets) is really dark,” said Patrick Keenan-Devlin, an off-campus senator for ASG. “It’s a street students utilize (a lot) to get back from town.”

Before the outing, an NU facilities management associate director said he had not realized how poor the lighting was off campus.

“It gives us a good feeling (knowing which) areas to address,” said Steve Sowa, associate director of facilities management and operations.

Attendees included Chief of University Police Bruce Lewis, Dean of Students Mary Desler, a sergeant from the Evanston Police Department and the director of public works for Evanston, who is in charge of city street lighting.

ASG will use results from this excursion as well as an upcoming on-campus “light walk” to hold a forum in late January before lobbying administrators and city leaders to increase student safety with more on- and off-campus lighting.

Reach Helena Oh at [email protected].

Body 2 ———————————————————————–

Outing highlights dark sites for lights

Body 3 ———————————————————————–

NU, city officials join forces, probe student safety concerns about illumination of streets

Body 4 ———————————————————————–

Mike Saccone/the daily northwestern

ASG Sen. Patrick Keenan-Devlin, right, speaks to, from left, ASG President Jane Lee, Sen. Karla Diaz, Dean of Students Mary Desler, Sen. Jessica Joslin and Chief Bruce Lewis of University Police about the lack of off-campus lighting.