Shooting sexuality: Gay and lesbian film fest supports the cinema’s less traditional side

It’s a shame Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz and Lucy Liu couldn’t attend Chicago’s 23rd Annual Lesbian and Gay International Film Festival before opting to anchor the “Charlie’s Angels” sequel.

Not that watching quality films could have rescued the “Full Throttle” cast from cinematic degradation, but perhaps a ticket to Angela Robinson’s “D.E.B.S.,” which features a lesbian twist on the titillating trio, could have heightened the girls’ on-screen chemistry — and their less-than-stellar box office performance.

Alas, the eight-day gala — which started Nov. 4 and culminates tonight — arrived far too late to influence “Angels” (just as this story is arriving at the end of this year’s festival).

But event coordinators still put all their effort into the daunting task of successfully organizing the festival itself. This year’s bigger-than-ever celebration (second only to San Francisco’s) boasts an unprecedented number of visiting filmmakers, screenwriters and actors, each scheduled to appear at either Landmark’s Century Centre Cinema (2828 N. Clark St.), Chicago Filmmakers (5243 N. Clark St.) or The Music Box Theatre (3733 N. Southport Ave.).

By the end of tonight’s closing festivities, the management team will have screened 97 independent films and videos from 16 countries in 48 different programs of features, shorts and special presentations — all while catering to Chicago’s prominent gay population.

It’s a good thing they’ve had some practice. Started by current festival director Brenda Webb in 1981, the now-famous tradition was inspired by Chicago Filmmakers, an organization committed to less traditional cinema. Designed to increase the presence of gay sensibility in film, the program stressed that many early American directors — especially those who helmed more obscure fare — were gay and lesbian.

“(The festival) became an opportunity for these filmmakers to expand beyond the small circle of experimental films,” said Webb. “We have the power to really connect them with their community.”

But not every film can be “connected.” Each festival genre — documentary, feature and short — has its own selection committee, which consists of about 30 people. On average, committee members view about 25-30 films, searching for those that are “new or fresh in some way,” according to Shannon Austin, Chicago Filmmakers’ marketing and media relations director. Only the best offerings advance, ideally producing some of the world’s best in gay and lesbian cinema.

No wonder the event already has spurred several breakout hits. Both Dean Howell’s “Nine Lives,” which chronicles nine intertwined individuals as they interact throughout a single, hectic day, and David Moreton’s “Testosterone,” which follows an abandoned lover in search of the man who broke his heart, have received positive feedback from critics and patrons alike — a trend indicative of this year’s success.

No film, however, has received more buzz than Ekachai Uekrongtham’s “Beautiful Boxer,” starring 2004 Thai Best Actor Award-winner Asanee Suwan. The foreign flick, which screened yesterday, documents the true story of Parinya Charoenphol (commonly known as Nong Toom), an effeminate youth who discovers an unexpected talent for fighting. Shattering the notion of stereotypical masculinity, Nong begins a career in professional kickboxing, earning him respect and recognition throughout his native Thailand.

“It’s extraordinary that this film is here in our city,” Austin said of “Boxer,” which recently received rave reviews from the Sun-Times, the Tribune and the Reader. “It’s just a great film that you really shouldn’t miss.”

Despite the critical success of “Boxer,” Austin predicts that audiences will best respond to Richard Day’s “Straight-Jacket.” The “Pleasantville”-esque dramady stars Matt Letscher (of the short-lived “Good Morning Miami”) as Guy Stong, a 1950s heartthrob whose homosexual escapades spur a studio-mandated cover-up, complete with a faux marriage to the actor’s secretary.

The film premieres tonight at 9 p.m. in Landmark’s Century Centre Cinema as part of a $25 dollar deal that includes an after-party at Hydrate, a nearby nightclub. While all-inclusive packages are limited to those of legal drinking age, if the screening doesn’t sell out, movie-only rush tickets will be sold for $15 at the theater immediately before the show.

Beyond movie exposure, Austin cites diverse attendance as an added benefit of this year’s event. While the target audience is the gay and lesbian population, it’s always rewarding to see heterosexuals attend the festival’s offerings.

“It’s been encouraging to see friends of the (homosexual) community appreciate our movies in the same way that a lesbian or gay person appreciates a mainstream film,” said Austin. “And I think that’s a great accomplishment.” 4

Medill freshman Dan Macsai is a PLAY writer. He can be reached at [email protected].