Cats Young no more

Let the post-Jitim Young era begin.

When the Northwestern basketball team takes the floor tonight in its exhibition game against Division III opponent DePauw at 7 p.m. at Welsh-Ryan Arena, No. 25 will not be there.

In his final season at NU last year, Young led the Wildcats in almost every statistical category, and was the team’s heart, soul and go-to guy.

But tonight he will be in Greece competing professionally for Panellinios Athens, where he is averaging 9.5 points per game. And the Cats will be faced with finding someone to step up and fill the leadership vacancy Young left behind.

“Not having Jitim is a big loss,” junior guard T.J. Parker said. “He was one of the best players in Northwestern history, and he was a great leader on and off the court.

“But you still have me, (guard) Mohamed (Hachad), (forward) Vedran (Vukusic) and (forward) Davor (Duvancic). We’re veterans, and we know how to play together now.”

Filling in the final spot in the starting lineup will be St. John’s transfer Tim Doyle, who NU coach Bill Carmody calls a “throwback” player and a great passer.

The four returning starters, along with Doyle and Duke transfer Mike Thompson, who is ineligible until Dec. 14, now will compose the core of the team. Each player has improved in the offseason and will be required to contribute more than last season.

Beginning in the exhibition tonight, the main objective for the Cats will be getting off to a better start to the season than last year. NU finished 5-6 in its 2003 non-conference games.

To combat early season complacency, Carmody said he plans to treat tonight’s exhibition as if it were a real game.

While most coaches would cycle through their benches in an exhibition game, Carmody said everyone on the roster may not play.

“I’m not trying to make everyone happy,” he said. “I’ll substitute the way I would substitute in a regular game.

“For instance, if someone gets two fouls in the first half, I’ll take him out, and I might not put him back in until the beginning of the second half.”

Whether or not the three freshmen — Brandon Lee, Gary Lee and Sterling Williams — see any game action will depend greatly on whether Carmody decides to redshirt one of more of them.

Carmody said he has discussed redshirting with all three of the players and said it is still an option with any of them, even though he has not yet redshirted anyone at NU.

“I don’t think I’ll do that with this group, but that might be something I’ll see during the game, too,” Carmody said. “There’s a possibility these guys will play and help us.”

The game will also be a homecoming for DePauw coach Bill Fenlon, an NU graduate who played basketball here from 1976-79. He is the all-time coaching leader in wins with 201-109 record in 12 seasons at the small liberal arts school in Greencastle, Ind.

“He’s had a very good program over the last 10 years,” Carmody said. “So I just thought it was a good opportunity to help them out, help an alumnus out and help us out.”

Admission to tonight’s game is free for students with a valid Wildcard and is $5 for everyone else.

“We have a great team this year, so hopefully everyone can come check us out,” Parker said.

Reach Zach Silka at [email protected].

NU vs. DePauw

When: 7 p.m. Today

Where: Welsh-Ryan Arena