Smokers face new enforcement

Almost six months after the city of Evanston passed new smoking restrictions, many smokers on campus weren’t following them — largely because they didn’t know they existed.

Northwestern officials sent out a campuswide e-mail Tuesday stating that smoking is prohibited within 25 feet of any enclosed campus facility. The message was supposed to be just a reminder of an Evanston city law put into effect in June that bans smoking within common areas of apartment buildings and 25 feet away from building entrances.

University President Henry Bienen, who signed the e-mail, said it only was meant to serve as a reminder of city policy. But few people on campus were aware the policy even existed despite the fact that the city of Evanston enacted this policy in June.

Although this ordinance technically was enforceable when Evanston passed it in June, several students said they were not aware of the ban until the e-mail.

The ordinance was passed to shield passersby from the effects of second-hand smoke.

As in the city of Evanston, the ban is enforced on a complaint basis, and any individual who believes the policy has been violated should talk to the alleged violator, and if necessary, with a supervisor or appropriate university official, the e-mail stated.

This is an amendment to NU’s previous smoking policy, which prohibited smoking indoors but did not stipulate that people could not smoke directly outside a building.

Some NU employees were advised to move their smoke breaks away from the buildings where they work.

Crystal McKinley, a Willie’s Food Court cashier in Norris University Center, said her supervisor informed her and her colleagues Tuesday that smokers on staff need to stop smoking right outside of Norris. She said she knows of eight other co-workers who smoke.

“It’s so cold out there,” McKinley said. “We’ll have to move closer to the lake.”

Several students who smoke said they do not believe this ordinance can be enforced.

“I disregarded the e-mail,” said Ghazal Jabr, a McCormick freshman who said she often smokes within 25 feet of buildings. “I understand why you can’t smoke inside, but I don’t understand outside.”

Jabr is from Jordan, where she said smoking often is allowed indoors.

Some non-smokers said the policy was good because non-smokers should not be subject to the effects of second-hand smoke.

But most remained wary of ratting out their fellow students.

“I think it’s a good policy because smoking can affect the air around the building,” said Education sophomore Janet Park. “I wouldn’t tell on people, but if it was really bothering me I’d ask them to move.”

Imran Oomer believes that NU is not serious about enforcing the ordinance because ashtrays remain outside of buildings.

“A lot would have to change,” said Oomer, a Weinberg junior who said he does not plan to follow the regulation. “The new ordinance seems to just be a ploy that can’t be enforced.”

Oomer said he thinks the good intentions of the ordinance will be in vain.

“In reality people will smoke when they want, where they want and what they want,” Oomer said.

Reach Diana Scholl at [email protected].