ASG to decide group fund supplements

Student groups that were dissatisfied with their spring funding allotments may be awarded supplemental funding at tonight’s Associated Student Government meeting.

Out of about $360,000 in student group requests, the Student Activities Finance Board recommended that $164,843 of available funds be awarded. The Senate has the power to amend, accept or reject SAFB recommendations. Senators have an additional $8,676 to give to groups that appeal funding recommendations.

“SAFB has made good recommendations and the money has been equitably distributed,” said Zaid Pardesi, SAFB chairman.

Amnesty International plans to appeal SAFB’s recommendation that gives the group about $600 less than what was requested. Burhan Khan, Amnesty treasurer, said SAFB did not take into consideration how much money is needed for the group’s Winter and Spring quarter events.

“The amount we requested wasn’t as much as we needed,” said Khan, a Weinberg junior. “We weren’t asking for too much.”

The Asian Pacific American Coalition also will appeal after SAFB denied the group $5,201 for its Asian American magazine, nuAsian. The magazine premiered last spring, and APAC has not previously requested SAFB funding for it.

“NuAsian is the only Asian American magazine that services the Northwestern community,” said Sarah Yun, APAC president and a Weinberg senior. “We want to put out a quality magazine.”

In addition to group funding requests, there were five applications for co-sponsored events. SAFB denied funding requests for two.

After the Senate debates supplementary funding allocations, three bills are scheduled to be voted on and two bills to be introduced.

The Student Services and External Relations Committees wrote a bill that asks ASG to lobby the city of Evanston for more off-campus lighting.

“There’s a continual need for improvements off campus,” said Jill Sager, a Weinberg junior and co-author of the bill.

Student representatives and Evanston community leaders will take a “safety walk” on Nov. 18 to determine which areas need more lighting.

A Student Services Committee bill will lobby to add “gender identity and expression” to NU’s non-discriminatory policy.

If passed, two other bills would post polls on ASG’s HereAndNow Web site, one to better cell phone reception on campus and the other to better gauge constituents’ various concerns. Another bill would create a prominent link on HereAndNow for a Web site that tracks university shuttles.

The ASG meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the Northwestern Room of Norris University Center. The meeting is open to the public.

Reach Helena Oh at [email protected].

Spring 2004 Student Group Funding

Group Allocated

A&O $209,646

College Republicans $37,519

Flicker Fest $340

One Step Before $0

Habitat for Humanity $2,250

Supplemental Funding

Group Requested RecommendedA&O $173,122 $66,848

College Republicans $18,500 $0

Flicker Fest $15,569 $8,150

One Step Before $21,010 $12,976

Habitat for Humanity $2,654 $1,125