Journalist discusses Asian Americans in media

“People said, ‘Oh, you want to be the next Connie Chung,'” said Nancy Loo, Emmy-award winning journalist. “But I didn’t want people to think I was some token Asian.”

Loo spoke to about 120 students at Fisk Hall Thursday night after starting her day at 2:15 a.m. to anchor the Fox Chicago morning news. Loo, a mother of two, normally goes to bed at 7 p.m., but her fatigue went unnoticed as she described journalism as a “money-making business” and how she ended up in it.

“Coming out of (the University of Oregon’s journalism school), I was very idealistic,” Loo said. “I thought journalism was a social cause, but there’s only so much I can do and tell in a minute-and-a-half story in a newscast.”

But journalists also cover stories that matter and make a difference, Loo said.

Loo discussed her coverage of the plight of Chinese refugees while anchoring in Hong Kong after college. She also wrote about student demonstrations in South Korea and was one of the first journalists to be allowed into the demilitarized zone between North and South Korea.

The Chinese Student Association sponsored the event to provide a role model for journalism students as well as Asian American students, said Clara Tse, the event’s co-organizer.

“Our purpose is for her to share her experience, because journalism is so competitive,” said Tse, Chinese Students Association secretary and outreach chairwoman. “A lot of Asian American (students) might not feel (Asian Americans are) prominent in the professional world, so she could break that stereotype.”

Loo admitted that journalism is a tough career. She earned $4.60 per hour at her first internship out of college.

But Loo encouraged all students interested in journalism to just “go for it.” Asian Americans, especially Asian American males, now have more opportunities to excel in journalism, Loo said.

“We need them (Asian American males),” said Loo, also the vice president of the Asian American Journalists Association’s Chicago chapter. “The more we see Asian men in that role, the more normal it will be.”

Medill sophomore John Lee agreed and said he could only think of one Asian American male broadcaster.

“A lot of Asian males have to have a stable occupation and be financially secure, and journalism…is not very glamourous in terms of pay,” Lee said. “Also, there aren’t that many (Asian-American male) role models.”

But Asian Americans can break into journalism more easily now thanks to better assimilation, Loo said.

Loo, a Hong Kong native, described herself as a “product of the American dream.” She did not learn English until she entered kindergarten, and she grew up working at her parents’ Chinese restaurant in northern California.

Loo knew early on she wanted to be a journalist because she “stunk at math.” She could not have predicted where journalism would take her, but she said she has no complaints.

“You can’t pick where you’re going to wind up, because the business is too unpredictable,” Loo said. “(But) I have found a place in my personal and professional that works for me.”

Other students enjoyed learning more about journalism and the issues concerning Asian Americans in the media.

“She was a great speaker,” said Gareth Hughes, a McCormick freshman. “I’m not into journalism, but I liked hearing about how she came to be where she is now.”

For journalism students, Loo provided a veteran’s advice and insight.

“I thought it was very inspiring especially since she admitted (journalism) was a money-making business,” said Noelle Chun, a Medill freshman. “But there is still an altruistic aspect, so it’s reassuring to me as a Medill student.”

Reach Helena Oh at [email protected].