Hawkeyes sport pedometers to walk to better health

With physical fitness becoming an increasing concern on college campuses, the University of Iowa has kicked off a program this fall encouraging students to sport pedometers and keep track of their steps throughout the year.

Northwestern is attempting a similar program, but students are more interested in self-motivated fitness, according to health experts.

As it is increasingly difficult for college students to squeeze in a workout between classes and extracurriculars, the Iowa program, Taking Strides, focuses on incorporating a workout into students’ everyday routine.

“Students really like having a way to objectively monitor their physical activity on a daily basis,” said Amy Fletcher, a fitness specialist at Iowa’s Student Health Services.

The program encourages students to set monthly goals. Students place the pedometers, on their waistband. Each week they record their step total on an interactive Web site.

Students receive small incentive prizes for reaching their respective goals. So far, the program has been successful for the 160 students involved, according to Fletcher.

But the program has yet to catch on with the rest of Iowa’s undergraduates.

“We did advertising through posters, Web sites, newspapers and some of our instructors were offering extra credit,” said Fletcher. “It is an ongoing program and we have never done such a program before.”

NU has had difficulties getting students involved in similar programs.

Although some NU students trek as many as two miles a day, no pedometer or incentive-based programs currently exist, said Nancy Tierney, fitness and wellness manager at Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center.

“We have tried walking programs before but the students were never really interested.” Tierney said.

But some recent efforts are trying to get students to pick up healthier habits.

The President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports distributed coupons at Elder Hall and Norris University Center that allow students to register online and receive a pedometer in the mail within six weeks.

But for some students, this incentive may not be enough.

“In general, health is a self-motivated thing,” said Tracy Strausberg, a Communication senior. “I think the university could do something better with its money than attach every student to a pedometer.”

Weinberg freshman Ryan Leary said he thinks NU provides adequate exercise options.

“If you want to be involved in something active on campus, Northwestern does a good job of having the resources be there for you,” he said.

Reach Spencer Kallick at [email protected].