I’m leaving this week to the professionals

After the Red Eye ran a run-down of John Stewart’s appearance on Crossfire, reporting iFilm’s site running the show received more than 400,000 hits in its first few days online, I figured I should follow in the grand tradition of the Trib’s bastard child (don’t forget, we supposedly both target a similar demographic) and comment on what undoubtedly will become a seminal moment in our generation’s cultural history.

While we all expected to be impressed by the insightful, biting political commentary Stewart has built his reputation on, what even his loyal fans probably weren’t ready for was the genuine pleading in his voice as he begged “journalists” Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson to help America. Carlson obviously wasn’t prepared for it — thus his continual attempts to badger Stewart into being funny.

This episode demonstrated what a tenuous relationship entertainment, especially comedy, has with news and how uncomfortable people get when someone plainly uncovers how dangerously the lines between the two have been blurred. You could read it in Carlson’s eyes: How dare a comedian come on his show and, rather than being entertaining, accuse him of being too entertaining himself.

Well, out of respect for Stewart’s complaints, and as someone who at least occasionally claims to be a journalist, this time I’m going to leave the entertaining to the subjects of this week’s articles. (Oh, you were trying to be entertaining before, Miki? Yeah, good thing you have that day job to fall back on.)

First we have the cover story on two NU grads who have teamed up for the first time since they worked together on a Mee-Ow show. Wish I’d been around to see that one. It was probably pretty good considering their two-man play was nominated for one of Britain’s most prestigious comedy awards and won best sketch at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival.

Then there is the impressively accomplished Prof. Victor Yampolsky on page 4 who is celebrating his 20th year pushing and amusing the student musicians of NU’s Symphony Orchestra.

Speaking of music, what could be more entertaining than amazing voices accompanied only by politically driven satire and unconventional skits? Check out the page 9 story on Melodius Thunk’s “Thunk the Vote” show and upcoming South Africa stint if you don’t believe me.

And I’m sure the talented cast and crew of JTE’s comedy “Big Slam” is much more deserving of your laughs than I am, despite their self-described novice standings on page 8.

Finally, don’t miss the page 6 interview with Matt Stone, the “South Park” guru who almost exactly reverses Stewart’s position: He refuses to acknowledge any political leanings in his and Trey Parker’s latest biting commentary veiled in bathroom humor.4

Medill senior Miki Johnson is the PLAY editor. She can be reached at [email protected].