Talk probes gay life in Israeli military

Yaron McNabb said he had one regret after serving in the Israeli army Tuesday night — he wished he had come out of the closet.

The Weinberg junior spoke to about 100 students in McCormick Auditorium in Norris University Center about being gay in Israel, after a screening of the movie “Yossi & Jagger,” a true story about a love affair between two gay men in the Israeli army.

Steve Dishler, the Israel and International Affairs Associate at the Chicago-area Jewish Community Relations Council, also talked about being gay in the Israeli military.

“I made the mistake of telling no one about my private life,” McNabb said. “No one should do that because you can’t communicate and make friends because there’s always something that you’re not talking about. If everyone came out of the closet, it wouldn’t do away with discrimination, but it might prevent it.”

Organized by a group of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Jewish students, the program aimed to foster dialogue about homosexuality and religion, particularly Judaism, said Weinberg senior Adam Riff. The Fiedler Hillel Center, Rainbow Alliance and A&O Productions co-sponsored the event, which gave freshmen credit for Essential NU.

“I thought it was pretty freaking awesome,” said Communication freshman Andrea Cray. “I’m glad it was apart of Essential NU because it’s important to hear the LGBT voice as part of diversity on campus.”

Although the Israeli army accepts gays and lesbians as troops and has thrown out a “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, Dishler and McNabb didn’t reveal their sexuality in the army.

“When you’re in the army you’re in close quarters — living in a little tent, showering together, eating together — you come to count on each other,” Dishler said. “There’s an extreme amount of trust and in the back of your mind (because) you don’t want to do anything to alienate anyone.”

Like in the United States, gay and lesbian marriages aren’t recognized in Israel.

“The army is far from being perfect,” McNabb said. “They say, we’ll accept you if you’re lesbian or gay, but don’t bring your spouses.”

Dishler spoke about the struggles of being gay in an religiously tense city like Jerusalem.

The speakers also talked about their experiences coming out to their family and friends.

“It think it was great to hear personal stories,” said David Graddick, Communication ’04. “It’s nice to hear what people are going through the same thing you’re going through and how being gay affects life.”

“Yossi & Jaggar” told the tale of two men hiding their relationship while stationed in a remote unit on the Israeli-Lebanese border.

Students said they liked the movie for its honest portrayal of emotions. The film authentically depicted life on army bases, McNabb said.

“It was so human and very heartfelt,” said Weinberg freshman Nanette O’Brien. “You wouldn’t see two guys kiss on American TV.”

Henry Bowles, a Medill junior, appreciated the movie’s “nitty-gritty” nature.

“I felt I was there with the Israeli army,” Bowles said.

Although unnamed and still developing, the group of LGBT Jewish students said that they hope to have an educational program like this once a quarter. Already about 25 people on campus have expressed interest in joining, Riff said.

“There’s a number of people who don’t typically associate with being either gay or jewish, but are curious and eager to participate in an event that brings it all together,” Riff said.

Reach Kendra Marr at [email protected].