2nd stringers step up in secondary

ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Everybody can stop calling Chad Henne a freshman because he plays, acts and talks like an upperclassman.

The Michigan quarterback led his team on a 87-yard scoring drive with 3:04 left to give the No. 14 Wolverines (5-1, 2-0 Big Ten) a 27-24 win over Minnesota. Henne finished the game 33 of 49 for 328 yards, all records for a Michigan true-freshman, with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

“Being a freshman and to be able to perform at the level he is, I think it’s incredible,” Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said.

But Henne was not the only part of the Wolverines’ freshman backfield duo to set records. Running back Mike Hart set the Michigan single-game rushing mark for a freshman with 160 yards on 35 carries, while former Michigan running backs Chris Perry and Anthony Thomas watched from the sideline.

“You don’t want to play like a freshman out there,” Hart said. “I’ll take the ball as many times as they’re willing to give it to me.”

After No. 19 Minnesota (5-1, 2-1) scored 17 consecutive points to give itself a 24-17 lead with 13:18 left, Henne and the Michigan offense went to work.

The Wolverines’ 68-yard drive netted a 29-yard field goal by Garrett Rivas to cut the lead to four.

Then, following two great defensive stops by the Michigan defense, Henne connected with tight end Tyler Ecker over the middle for a 31-yard touchdown pass that gave the Wolverines the lead with 1:57 left.

“We knew it was going to come down to the last drive,” Ecker said. “We were preparing all week for something like this to happen.”

Minnesota quarterback Bryan Cupito’s pass on fourth down fell incomplete on the next drive, and Michigan won the Little Brown Jug for the 16th straight time.

Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards, who finished with 10 catches for 98 yards, capped the victory with a back flip on the field after the final play.

Wisconsin 24, Ohio State 13

Any hope Ohio State had of redeeming itself after last weekend’s upset loss to Northwestern was squelched by No. 10 Wisconsin.

The Badgers (6-0, 3-0) came into the game with the No. 1 defense in the country and summarily proved their ranking by shutting down Ohio State.

Buckeyes’ quarterback Justin Zwick finished with 125 yards passing, and Ohio State didn’t have one player rush for more than 50 yards.

Badgers’ running back Anthony Davis rushed for 168 yards and one touchdown after running for 213 yards and three touchdowns last week in his return from an eye injury.

The loss gave the No. 25 Buckeyes (3-2, 0-2) their first two-game losing streak under coach Jim Tressel and their first 0-2 start in conference play since 1992. The Badgers also snapped Ohio State’s 18-game home winning streak and won their third straight at Ohio Stadium.

Purdue 20, Penn State 13

Purdue quarterback Kyle Orton was not spectacular as the No. 5 Boilermakers (5-0, 2-0) barely escaped an upset bid by Penn State (2-4, 0-3).

Orton finished 24 of 35 with one touchdown pass but threw his first two interceptions of the season at key moments in the fourth quarter that gave the Nittany Lions an opportunity to win their first Big Ten game.

But a botched fake field goal and a missed field goal following both turnovers left Penn State with only three points in the second half.

Nittany Lions’ quarterback Zack Mills played one of his best games this season, throwing for 293 yards and one touchdown on 29-of-49 passing.

It was a special evening for Purdue receiver Taylor Stubblefield, who caught Orton’s only touchdown pass and broke the conference’s career receptions record with his 271st catch.

Michigan State 38, Illinois 25

Illinois (2-4, 0-3) suffered its 11th consecutive Big Ten loss while Michigan State was victorious in a must-win conference game. The Spartans face four top 25 teams in their next four games.

Michigan State (3-3, 2-1) complemented a strong passing attack with a decent rushing game for the first time this season.

Quarterback Drew Stanton had three touchdown passes while running back DeAndra Cobb had 93 yards and one touchdown on the ground.

Illinois starting quarterback Jon Beutjer was pulled for ineffective play for the second straight week after passing for only 96 yards in the first half.

Reach Zach Silka at [email protected].