Continuing Studies collaborates with institutes, creates niche courses for working professionals in Chicago

Students interested in learning the value of porcelain and china or distinguishing between Nepalese and Romanian rugs now have the opportunity to do so while earning certificates of qualification in appraisal and connoiseurship in fine and decorative art from Northwestern.

The School of Continuing Studies embarked on several partnerships this summer to add more diversity to their list of non-credit classes.

The school, which offers classes at night, caters mostly to working professionals looking to increase their professional development.

The American Society of Appraisers collaborated with the School of Continuing Studies this summer to offer two certificate programs during Fall Quarter in understanding the history and value of fine arts. The new courses began Sept. 21 and end Oct. 19.

“We saw the need for classes in these areas,” said Jack Clegg, the school’s assistant dean of professional development and special programs. “We build partnerships so that the courses will give (people who are interested) the foundation that will help them in their profession.”

Clegg said school staff noticed a growing interest in studying art, collectibles and other objects — and found that very few schools actually offer classes on the topic.

After partnering with the American Society of Appraisers, NU has developed one of the most comprehensive non-credit programs in the area, he said.

At first School of Continuing Studies staff were nervous about adding the program, but student response in the appraisal and connoisseurship courses has been positive so far, Clegg said.

“There’s always a risk when you add a new class, but these classes have so much potential,” he said.

The university also worked with the Chicago Board of Trade to create a professional development course that explores new theories in economics called Economics of Trading.

The course covers subjects such as macroeconomics, banking and market trends.

In a press release from the school of Continuing Studies, Chicago Board of Trade Managing Director Ted Doukas called NU the “perfect partner” because of the school’s reputation in economics.

This quarter, the courses are located on the Chicago Campus. Registration is available for the six-week course on the Economics of Trading until Oct. 18th, when the class officially begins.

The five-week appraisal and connoiseurship courses began in September. A schedule of available classes on both the Chicago and Evanston campuses is available at www.scs.northwestern.edu.

Reach Stephanie Chen at [email protected].