Festival LatiNU salsas in heritage celebration

With their hips shaking and hands waving in the air, Northwestern students spun and glided across the dance floor of Norris University Center’s Louis Room.

“Shake what your mama gave you,” yelled the woman singing on stage.

More than 200 students helped kick off Hispanic Heritage Month on Tuesday night at NU’s fourth annual Festival LatiNU. The festival — sponsored by Hispanic/Latino Student Affairs, Alianza, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese and African American Student Affairs — showcased live salsa music, free Puerto Rican food, and performances by Spanish and Mexican professional dance groups.

“(The festival) gets everyone pumped up to celebrate Latino/Hispanic culture,” said Ronnie Rios, acting director of Hispanic/Latino Student Affairs. “It’s the best way to exhibit parts of our culture and motivate students at attend other events.”

Festival LatiNU was the first major event that Rios, Weinberg ’04, helped organize as an administrator and the first of many activities for Hispanic Heritage Month, a celebration that continues through the middle of November.

Two dance troupes performed at the event. Ensemble Espanol, the Spanish dance troupe, performed several flamenco pieces.

Decked out in ranchero outfits and brightly colored ruffled dress, Mexican dance group Ballet Folklorico Mexicano stomped out beats so fast that the audience clapping along could barely keep up.

Students attending the festival said they were amazed by the two Chicago-based dance groups’ rapid footwork and swirling costumes.

“I love the dresses,” said Weinberg senior Juanita Flores, Alianza’s co-president. “The movement of the costumes as they move with the music — I think it’s really beautiful.”

In between performances, students danced to Orchestra Natural, the live band.

“The band was awesome,” said Irina Livshitz, a Weinberg sophomore. “It’s a full salsa band and that’s something you rarely see.”

Couples familiar with the intricate dance steps tore up the dance floor with elaborate footwork, weaving in and out of pairs attempting to mimic their moves.

Ernesto Magana spent the night learning how to salsa from his girlfriend.

“It’s easier to learn with live music,” said Magana, a McCormick sophomore. “When you see (the band) play, you get into the rhythm.”

Students said they enjoyed taking part in the diverse food, dance and music. For many attendees, the event brought back memories of celebrations at home.

“This is the music I hear at weddings,” said Communication freshman Angelica Gonzalez. “It’s really comforting.”

Although Latino culture is diverse, the festival had something for everyone, said Maggie Rios, Ronnie Rios’ sister.

“Everyone’s not from the same country, their parents are not from the same country,” Maggie Rios said. “(The festival provides) a way to celebrate both the uniqueness and commonality of our heritage.”

The festival’s cross-cultural attendance was a good way to promote Alianza’s diversity, said Alina Garcia, a Weinberg sophomore.

“We want to tell people to come to our meetings,” said Garcia, a member of Alianza. “You don’t have to be Hispanic or Spanish speaking, which is one of the misconceptions.”

Other events planned for Hispanic Heritage Month include an open mic night, a salsa dance party, lectures on Latino race and health issues and a dominoes tournament.

Reach Kendra Marr at [email protected].