Conference’s top teams romp in Week 1

The Michigan defense was stifling, forcing five Iowa turnovers that resulted in 27 points for the No. 19 Wolverines (3-1, 1-0 Big Ten) as they won, 30-17. Michigan now leads the nation with 19 takeaways.

The Wolverines won their 23rd consecutive Big Ten opener and have won 12 straight in the Big House since an embarrassing 34-9 loss against Iowa (2-2, 0-1) in 2002.

Michigan wideout Braylon Edwards caught six passes for a career-best 150 yards and reeled in his third consecutive 100-yard game of the season.

Wolverines’ quarterback Chad Henne threw for 236 yards with one touchdown and committed no turnovers for the first time this season.

Iowa quarterback Drew Tate was 24 of 32 for 270 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

The sophomore also fumbled the ball on a failed handoff and appeared confused by the Michigan defense.

“Some stuff that they did was different than what we saw on film,” Tate said. “But it was just them being athletes that made it so hard.”

Purdue 38, Illinois 30

Purdue quarterback Kyle Orton continued his quest for the Heisman, and the No. 15 Boilermakers (3-0, 1-0) held on to beat Illinois (2-2, 0-1).

Orton completed 32 of 50 passes for 366 yards, threw for four touchdowns and didn’t have an interception for the third consecutive contest.

“He did a great job of managing the game and executing the offense,” Purdue coach Joe Tiller said. “We’re always looking for perfection, but he played awfully well once again.”

Orton connected with wideout Taylor Stubblefield for a 34-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter to give the Boilermakers a 15-point cushion.

After scoring a touchdown late in the fourth quarter, Illinois got the ball back with 45 seconds left with no timeouts, but quarterback Jon Beutjer fumbled the ball away on the second play of the drive.

Wisconsin 16, Penn State 3

The Badgers used a 270-pound tailback to beat the quarterback-less Nittany Lions in a defensive battle.

No. 20 Wisconsin (4-0, 1-0), already without injured starting running back Anthony Davis, lost replacement backs Booker Stanley and Jamil Walker in the first half because of injuries and were forced to use fullback Matt Bernstein in the second half.

Although Bernstein hadn’t eaten in 24 hours because of Jewish holiday Yom Kippur, the junior rushed for a career-best 123 yards.

Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez joked that after the game, “We gave him a hoagie and an IV.”

The Badgers’ defense kept its opponent out of the end zone for the third time in four games.

Penn State (2-2, 0-1) had to utilize third-string quarterback Chris Ganter after starter Zack Mills injured his non-throwing shoulder and backup Michael Robinson left with a concussion.

Both injuries occurred on successive snaps in the first quarter.

After the game Penn State coach Joe Paterno learned his son-in-law had been involved in a serious bicycle accident in State College, Pa., and immediately flew home ahead of his team.

Michigan State 30, Indiana 20

Michigan State may have finally resolved its quarterback controversy.

Spartans’ signal caller Drew Stanton completed 15 of 23 passes for 172 yards and ran for a game-high 141 yards and two touchdowns.

The sophomore was the projected starter at quarterback this season before injuring his right knee in the offseason.

After using three quarterbacks in the team’s last three games, Michigan State coach John L. Smith said after the game: “I think somebody’s going to have step up and beat him or he’s going to have to mess up so bad, we’re going to have to make a change. I thought he played pretty darn good.”

Michigan State (2-2, 1-0) scored 23 unanswered second half points to win the Old Brass Spittoon for the third straight year and the seventh time in the last eight years.

The Spartans outgained the Hoosiers 310-41 in the second half, with 175 of the 310 yards coming on the ground.

Indiana (2-2, 0-1) lost its 13th Big Ten opener in the last 14 years after leading 20-7 at halftime.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Reach Zach Silka at [email protected].