Council delays vote on whether to welcome back fraternity

After fraternity representatives expressed concern about Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity’s return, Interfraternity Council postponed voting on a bill Tuesday to welcome SAE back to campus.

Chi Phi President Rob Bralow said at the IFC Forum that allowing SAE to return next year after reinstating Sigma Chi fraternity this quarter would hamper other, less historically popular fraternity chapters.

“We have four chapters that are so small that I think if we add another Sigma Chi, another SAE, that gets so many members their first year, I think that’s going to push the smaller fraternities out,” said Bralow, a Weinberg junior.

SAE was removed from campus after its national chapter suspended the house citing poor grades, low pledge numbers, debt, a failure to carry out SAE rituals and members’ refusal to take drug tests.

Bralow said he thought IFC should focus on building the fraternities on campus before bringing back other chapters.

“Before I would consider adding another fraternity to campus I would help out the (smaller) chapters,” he said.

Sigma Chi representative Matthew Dinneen, a McCormick junior, said he thought a speedy return by SAE would also threaten Sigma Chi’s future recruitment efforts.

“It would basically be two houses having the exact same option of rushing a pledge class with the opportunity to mold the fraternity,” Dinneen said. “I think you’d have two houses rushing the exact same people.”

Mark Manderino, NU’s area coordinator for Greek Life, said bringing back SAE would not hurt and would in fact stimulate the fraternity system.

He noted that when Sigma Chi was reinstated, it participated in and competed with other fraternities during IFC’s first formal Spring Quarter recruitment.

“Maybe some groups will struggle a bit, but it’ll also make them step up their game,” Manderino said.

SAE Director of Extension Michael Corelli said the fraternity, which is headquartered in Evanston, is eager to return to campus but is willing to wait for the full support of IFC.

Phil Stuart, IFC Vice President of Public/Media Relations and a Medill junior, said he thought the debate raised valid concerns. He said the council will continue discussion at their next meeting in two weeks.

“I think there were just a lot of unanswered questions that we’re still trying to (figure) out, in terms of what negotiations have already gone on between SAE and the university,” Stuart said.