Citywatch: It’s time to place residents’ needs over developers

Evanston needs to take a breather. And city officials might have a perfect opportunity to do just that. After almost 10 years of continuous downtown development, Evanston has its share of high-rise condominiums, plush movie theaters and endless rows of coffee houses.

It’s every yuppie’s dream.

But for the scores of teachers, firefighters and seniors on fixed incomes, the once-friendly Evanston is morphing into quite a nightmare for homeowners.

The remedy? Pay up or get out.

That is, until aldermen at Monday’s Planning and Development Committee meeting looked at what could be one of the most sweeping reforms in the city’s history of housing development.

The policy they discussed is known as inclusionary zoning, an effort to create more affordable housing in every new development that comes to the city. This means a developer would have to set aside a certain percentage of new units for lower- and middle-income residents.

From a compassionate perspective, the plan is seamless. But for developers who contribute to the city’s tax base it may be less than optimal.

Unnecessary Concerns

Setting aside affordable units means less overall rent — and less incentive to build in Evanston. With developers lining up for building permits, however, the city’s development prospects aren’t exactly bleak.

Ald. Steven Bernstein (4th) said at Monday’s meeting that he didn’t mind if the policy put a “chilling effect” on developers. His suggestion is sound given the congestion and neighborhood encroachment that some developments have created.

But another portion of the proposal may erase worries about shunning developers altogether.

As part of the inclusionary zoning plan, aldermen could grant developers additional financial perks for providing affordable units. To offset the potential costs of providing the units, the city could give a developer extra units or a discount on certain start-up fees.

“As a matter of policy, it has been something on the table to make the development more feasible,” said Nicholas Brunick, who works for Business and Professional People for the Public Interest, a public policy firm.

Brunick cited several studies that show affordable housing policies having little or no effect on community development — with or without incentives.

Taking the Power Back

Aldermen now have the opportunity to steal back the reins of development power from the businesses. The question is whether they’re willing to hold their noses and depart from the rhetoric that has brought about the downtown we see today.

“They have been so gung-ho development that I was really kind of stunned,” said Evanston resident Sue Carlson of the Interfaith Housing Center of the Northern Suburbs. “Maybe it’s reaching the aldermen’s ears.”

Carlson’s reaction to Monday’s meeting is not unique among Evanston residents. Evanston City Council is often viewed as catering to big-money interests.

Like it or not, aldermen will have to send a clear message to the community about their commitment to an affordable Evanston. And they can do this by pushing through inclusionary housing for the entire city.

“If you look at the big picture, development everywhere is development for somebody,” said Ald. Joseph Kent (5th). “Give us a share of that for affordable housing.”

The developers have had their turn. Now it’s time for Evanston to give power back to those residents who have invested their lives in the community.