Music student wins $6K in 2 competitions

The month of March was good for Anna Burden, who won $6,000 for playing the cello.

Burden, a Music sophomore, won the string division of Music Teachers National Association Young Artist Performance Competition March 29 in Kansas City, Mo., earning $3,000.

At the Stulberg International String Competition March 6 in Kalamazoo, Mich., Burden placed second. She was awarded another $3,000 and a recital in July with Fontana Chamber Arts.

Two days before her competition in Kalamazoo, Burden said she got sick and missed a day of practice as a result.

“Somehow everyone at the competition found out (I was sick) and they were all like, ‘How did you get here?'” she said.

Burden had to work through her illness to play the second movement of “Sinfonia Concertante” by Sergei Prokofiev, which she called “one of the most technically challenging cello concertos.”

“The second movement is 17 minutes long,” she said. “It takes a lot of energy to play through the piece.”

During the competition, Burden watched a live TV recording of fellow participants performing. She said she was intimidated by the speed of their tempos, which seemed imposing compared to the slow, controlled andante of her piece.

“It’s really intimidating,” she said. “I try not to watch too much if it’s before I play because you tend to lose your mindset.”

Burden said the mounting pressure made her nervous, so she turned to her usual stress-relief technique.

“I try to eat a banana,” she said. “It’s supposed to calm your nerves.”

With the banana and her talent, Burden pulled through to win second place.

Music Performance Studies Prof. Hans Jensen, Burden’s cellist teacher since her junior year in high school, said he was not surprised by his student’s success.

Burden turned down The Juilliard School in New York to come to Northwestern, according to Jensen, to keep up the “strong working relationship” that they share.

“It’s no accident that she succeeds with these things,” Jensen said. “She’s so professional in every way. She’s very, very consistent.

“I’ve never seen her be unprepared for a lesson in all the time (she’s been my student),” he added.

Though she is excited about her success, Burden said she believes she still has more to learn.

“I’ve been trying not to let (winning) get to me that much,” Burden said. “I have more to do this quarter. I already have to be back in the practice room.”

Burden said she will use her $6,000 in prize money to pay for tuition and to “upgrade” her cello. The instrument, which was her first full-sized cello, has been with her longer than Jensen.

“I’m ready for a new one,” she said.

After Burden’s recent recognition, Jensen said he believes she will continue to succeed throughout her career.

“The sky is the limit,” he said. “I’ve only had one other student like her. I’ve learned a lot from working with (Anna).”